Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Dog Attack!!

Maya3348

Cavy Slave
About two hours ago my dog got into the room I was keeping my guinea pigs in. I had three sweet perfect loving almost five week old piggies kept in a huge cage. My dog is very sweet and has been interested in them since I got them. She has never bitten me I. The four years we?ve been together and is the sweetest thing in the world. I know she didn?t mean to hurt my guys but she did. I went out to swim because it was such a beautiful evening. My parents got home and immediately screamed for me to hurry inside. My sweet little babies cage was broken and my mom was crying telling me that one was missing. After finding my little one (I?ve had them for five days and they still don?t have names.) my second boy began to struggle to breathe. He passed away soon after and left me heartbroken. One of the two I had left got away and wasn?t effected by the attack at all other than some stress. So I think my dog only licked him or tried to play with him or whatever... but I?m extremely worried about my guy that survived. He is sleeping now, breathing normally (no wheezing etc) and seems calm enough. I?m going to call the vet in the morning... I just need some advice because I?m so scared I?ll loose him too. I?m so so worried about my sweet guys...

First, get the cage off the floor and secured so the dog can't get to it. Never depend on the door to a room being closed to be the thing that protects your pigs. It's far too easy for the door to be left open and the dog to have access to the pigs.

Second, realize that just because your dog doesn't harm you, it doesn't mean that its prey drive won't kick in when it sees small furry things running around. That's a dog's nature, and while there are rare dogs that won't harm pigs, very few can resist going after guinea pig pups.

As an extra precaution, you should get a cage cover. There are flip-fold covers at the guinea pig market, and a lid at (broken link removed).

Closet shelving makes an awesome, sturdy cage cover, and can be held down with carabiner clips.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.