Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet overfeeding hay?

livichi7

Cavy Slave
Hi! I adopted two female piggies last year which are about one now. My father keeps saying that I am over feeding my piggies with hay and they will gain wieght and die lol. I obviously know this is not true, but I just need someone help me explain how I am feeding them the correct amount of hay and they are not gaining wieght by the hay (they are the perfect wieght btw) I give them about a handful and a half every morning and night. Thanks!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs should always have access to more hay than they can eat. It makes up 80% of their diet, they need to graze on it constantly throughout the day similarly to animals like rabbits and horses. Without unlimited hay, their digestion will not work properly, their teeth will grow too long and they will be unable to eat, and that is what could kill them. Most of the hay passes right through them, anyway.

Guinea pigs are supposed to be chubby little animals. As long as you are only giving your pigs 1/4 cup of pellets each a day, their cage is big enough for 2, and you aren't giving them lots of treats like big amounts of fruits or seeds, they aren't overweight. You're right that they're perfect how they are.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need unlimited access to their hay. Tell him that hay is what keeps their digestion moving and without enough of it, they may become constipated. It also helps to keep their molars worn down. If their molars don't get warn down, they will become overgrown which will affect how they are able to eat which can cause some major health issues if left untreated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.