Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Should I Bring a Piggy Companion to the Vet?

Cavilicious

Cavy Slave
I suspect one of my pigs has bumblefoot and am bringing her to the vet. I was wondering if I should bring my pig's bonded guinea pig as well to help with her stress, but I'm afraid that I might stress her companion out unnecessarily.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I suspect that it's better to bring just one pig from what I've read online.
Thanks in advance!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I always bring just the sick pig. My girls get along great in their cages, but love to squabble when placed together in close spaces. It's easier for me to just take whoever needs to go.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
To me, it depends on the pig. My first two were fine going together in a small carrier, so they both went. Of the ones I've had since then, nobody seemed particularly close to any of the others, and one was downright hostile when placed in a carrier with another pig. They've all gone solo.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whenever I've had a sick pig, they've also always gone solo. Sly actually lives alone now, so it's no big deal for him. I do have two boys whom are VERY attached to one another now, and when one has to go to the vets I plan on taking them both. When I hold one, the other stands there staring at me until I bring him back.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It very much depends on the individual cavy. As everyone has indicated, the situation can vary. I generally only take the one needing to be seen. When it is Sparky who is a very mellow fellow and is just fine on his own so long as I'm with him, he goes solo. OTOH, Chip is nervous, high-strung and excitable and does better when his brother is there to protect him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.