Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet how much hay to order??

livichi7

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have two female piggies who are 1 year old (adults i guess?) Anyway, I?ve decided to try to buy farm hay instead of store bought hay, but it?s really expensive. The problem is I just don?t know how much to order in pounds. I think I am gonna order from small pet select, I just don?t know how much to get (in pounds.) I?m looking around to buy one each month, so could anyone tell me how many pounds my piggies would eat in a month? thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay ordered online is far cheaper per pound than the hay you buy in a store. It's also fresher. And the bigger the box you buy, the cheaper it is per pound.

I buy SPS in the largest box available -- 60 pounds. One box would last my two pigs about 6-8 months. I'm down to one senior pig now, so I'll probably buy 20 pound boxes, since she doesn't eat a lot of hay.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem. I buy from SPS and started out with 2 pigs, then 3, and now I have 5.

I was buying 20 lbs boxes, but I realized I was having to buy it every month. Last month, I finally ordered the 60 lbs box. Been using it for a month and it looks like I've barely touched it.

It cost more up front, but a lot cheaper in the end. For me, it was worth the huge box though. It's supposed to keep for around a year I believe (if stored correctly. SPS has info on their website about it).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay will actually last with very little loss of nutritional value for up to two years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.