Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Need to find a rescue near Omaha or Denver

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
So, sadly after many long years we have come to the end of our guinea pig ownership. We lost 3 pigs in the last 2 years to old age. Our last pig is 6 years old now and we are in a sad situation. I'm currently ill, in the process of being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. Sadly, this is forcing us to move from our current home in Omaha back to Colorado. We are selling our home and due to prices in Colorado have to go back to renting, due to having a dog and a cat, and the apartments we looked at not accepting exotic pets, it seems we may have to rehome Lexi. I'm broken about this, I'm a huge pets for life person. This is not something I ever saw myself having to do.

The only rescue I know of is in Aurora, Cavy Care Inc. But I know from past interactions they adopt to people using pet store cages. Lexi is actually more outgoing now as a single pig, so I think she is okay without a buddy, but I don't want her stuck in a tiny cage for the rest of her life. There is a rescue in Chicago that I think my husband is going to email but it's a very long drive for us so unless they can meet us part way may not be possible before our house sells.

Does anyone know of any other options? We are also putting adds on craigslist but I'm picky about that since like I said I want her to be well taken care of.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you're faced with this.

Do the apartments know that you're talking about a guinea pig? We're apartment hunting, sort of, and while all the places we've looked at say no exotic pets, they're all fine with guinea pigs, and without even a pet deposit. They interpret exotics to be lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! They may not realize that your pet will always be caged.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Possibly, the other problem though is that we have yet to find an apartment that takes more then 2 pets. Worth asking though for sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.