Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs 6 yr old with tumor

silverfz

Cavy Slave
Took our 6 yr old gracie to a exotic vet. He did a small biopsy and confirmed she has a big tumor on lower back.
He is quoting me 1200 bucks to take it off.

I am not sure how to proceed. I am not going to claim I am broke or anything. Its a tough pill to swallow yes but I will not go hungry next day.
But should I do this due to her age.

He is loud and wild but old now. She does live alone as we never got a 2nd pig for some reason.

I am south eastern mass and this is animal clinic . I called a vet office and they all want 60 bucks to look at her before giving a price. I cannot even if the price is in ball park . figures.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What kind of tumor? And is it loose and moveable, or fixed?

If it's just a fatty lipoma, removal should be quick, easy, and way cheaper than $1200. It also wouldn't be a difficult surgery for a six-year-old pig. But if it is malignant or has penetrated into the surrounding tissues, then I'd think long and hard about having anything done other than keeping her comfortable.

silverfz

Cavy Slave
All he is saying is cancerous. He wants to charge me post surgery to have it analyized. which i think is waste of 264$ as its already out. when he pressed a brown fluid came out.
No info on if it has penerated or anything for 100$. He is exotic pet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's malignant, I wouldn't have it removed on a pig that old. I'd keep him comfortable, and let him go when his quality of life deteriorates.

silverfz

Cavy Slave
My wife just told me .
malignant !

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry.

There's not a lot that can be done with guinea pigs with cancer. They don't tolerate chemo well at all, and the extended time under anesthesia that's often needed to remove all the bits of the tumor is very hard on them.

Does he seem to be in pain?

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
If it's malignant, I wouldn't have it removed on a pig that old. I'd keep him comfortable, and let him go when his quality of life deteriorates.

I completely agree with bpatters. I wouldn't put her through all of that. I just found out my 4 year old piggy has cancer, but I opted not to have the mass removed. The surgery itself is hard on them and they don't tolerate most medications well. Also, the cancer has spread so the mass could come back in the same place or a new one could pop up. I think at this point quality of life is more important. Keep her comfortable, and when the time comes, do the kindest thing. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I know how much it hurts :(

silverfz

Cavy Slave
She is still her self. Loud running around hard to catch. Screaming when she needs her spl treats like hay , apples and cucumber. She know to make noise for them. She has been healthy. We got from Petco like 6 yrs ago. Had 1 ear infection I had to put drops and she is just herself.

she still puts her nose against the cage and lets my Labrador lick her face. I never let them play as my lab is only 2 yrs old. She chucks hay out which my lab eats.also my 14 yr old cat lurks around. He in the last 10 days has brought home a dead bunny , a live one which I was able to return, a live chipmunk I put in the woods , 2 dead mice from the backyard. He does check her out all the time .

silverfz

Cavy Slave
How fast time pass. Last night she had a hard time moving . Was awake and not eating. I took her in to help her pass. We were heart broken and many tears were spent.
She was such a good girl. She slowed down last week by a bit. But yesterday she just layed down in a corner. She wanted to be pet and did not run around or make any noise. The vet office must have thought what is up with this 6 3 / 225 lb athletic guy with tears for a little thing. We just did not want to her suffer .

As i waited a random golden retriever pup jumped on my lap and hanged out. god works is mysterious ways i guess. My lab could tell i was upset and my cat and both been a hit clingy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Sorry to read about Gracie's passing. This has been a super tough week for some of our members and I hope you and your family will take good care of yourselves during this difficult time.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@silverfz, I would like to pass along my most sincere condolences on the loss of Gracie.

I know it's a very, very difficult thing to do, but know that you did the kindest thing you could do for her. You loved her enough to let her go when that is what was needed. I know she would understand, and love you for it.

Rest in peace, Gracie. Play in the sun, eat all the grass and dandelions, and run around with all of your new furry friends at the Rainbow Bridge. Wait there, but know that your family will one day come to take you home again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.