Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I need some advice/help.

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
Hiya guys,
Sorry I haven't been on this forum for a while! I have two boars, Otis and Snickers. I've had Snickers for almost 4 years now and he's been a joy! Otis I got after Snickers brother passed in early 2017. Otis is a sweetheart and I love having him. Otis and Snickers were a little iffy at first, but now they get along just fine.

I know I don't take great care of them though. They are in an L shaped cage I built myself, 4x3. They always have hay, water, and pellets available to them, and usually get fruits and veggies every morning and night. But...I don't handle them much. They get my allergies going and I never find the time to. I am so so ashamed to say it's really just 1-2x a month :( I do take them outside to eat clover occasionally (3-4x a month).

I know they can't live like this. I'm a very busy person though, and it's hard enough for me to find time for my reptiles that require very low maintenance. But now it's summer and I'll have more time with them. If you think I can, I would like to get some kind of schedule to stick to. Keeping it short and extending handling sessions as we go. Otherwise, I might have to rehome them. :(:( I hate the thought of it, but I want them to be in a better place. As much as I love them, I can't get any more pigs. And I know it's stupid, but it's going to be so hard on me emotionally when Snickers goes. Otis too of course, but Snickers is getting old and, again it's stupid, but I almost would prefer not to know when he dies.

I don't know, this has all been stressing me out so bad. If any of you guys live in central Oklahoma or would be willing to meet, I just might have to talk with you... I'd be willing to give everything for little or free if they are going to a good home, and many updates!

Thanks

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Do you live with anyone else in the your living space? I am also a busy person so my sister and I split the responsibility of the piggies.
Hiya guys,
Sorry I haven't been on this forum for a while! I have two boars, Otis and Snickers. I've had Snickers for almost 4 years now and he's been a joy! Otis I got after Snickers brother passed in early 2017. Otis is a sweetheart and I love having him. Otis and Snickers were a little iffy at first, but now they get along just fine.

I know I don't take great care of them though. They are in an L shaped cage I built myself, 4x3. They always have hay, water, and pellets available to them, and usually get fruits and veggies every morning and night. But...I don't handle them much. They get my allergies going and I never find the time to. I am so so ashamed to say it's really just 1-2x a month :( I do take them outside to eat clover occasionally (3-4x a month).

I know they can't live like this. I'm a very busy person though, and it's hard enough for me to find time for my reptiles that require very low maintenance. But now it's summer and I'll have more time with them. If you think I can, I would like to get some kind of schedule to stick to. Keeping it short and extending handling sessions as we go. Otherwise, I might have to rehome them. :(:( I hate the thought of it, but I want them to be in a better place. As much as I love them, I can't get any more pigs. And I know it's stupid, but it's going to be so hard on me emotionally when Snickers goes. Otis too of course, but Snickers is getting old and, again it's stupid, but I almost would prefer not to know when he dies.

I don't know, this has all been stressing me out so bad. If any of you guys live in central Oklahoma or would be willing to meet, I just might have to talk with you... I'd be willing to give everything for little or free if they are going to a good home, and many updates!

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
Do you live with anyone else in the your living space? I am also a busy person so my sister and I split the responsibility of the piggies.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I do live with my mom, but usually, it feels like I'm living alone. She has long hours. She'll fill their water, pellets, or hay when she sees they're empty though. I pretty much have close to full responsibility over all my other pets.

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
I think the amount of times you handle your pigs is one of the least important criteria of whether you're taking good care of them. They have a large living space and good things to eat, and I'm assuming that you keep their cage clean as well. Handling is nice, but if you don't have the time for it very often I don't think that pushes you into rehome territory. From what you describe, that honestly sounds like a good pig life. I have a busy schedule as well, so my way of fitting in handling time is by taking a pig out and holding them while I watch TV in my downtime. Sometimes they want to go back after ten minutes, and sometimes we'll sit together for hours. Either way, we're bonding.

Obviously it's your choice whether you want to keep them or not, but I wanted to share about one of the most loving pigs I ever had, Alex. He's the pig pictured in my avatar. He was the sweetest little guy. I would have him out with me on the couch often and he'd lean against me and go to sleep. I taught him how to kiss on command. He had such a big personality and was an amazing little guy. I lost him at 6 years old to bladder stones and it broke my heart. I still cry about him often. But still, I'm glad I was with him until the end. That is the one consolation I have about that horrible situation.

Really? I thought you needed to hold them twice a day! If that's the case, I bet I could work something out :D
I certainly do not have time twice a day, but I think once-twice a week may be doable! I really want to dedicate time to them. Honestly, the more I've thought about rehoming them (yesterday and today) it just makes me sad and I realize just how hard it'd be to let go of them. I'm on the side of keeping them now, I might have to revisit this if things get too out of hand, but I think I can make this work!
Alex sounds absolutely precious and I'm so sorry about that. Seems like he had an amazing loving life and he will certainly be missed :love:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I definitely agress with everything above. Handling them is one of the least important parts. As long as they have a large, clean cage with plenty of food and water, they will be happy!

I have 10 girls and each one gets lap time about 2-3 times a week, sometimes only for a few minutes because they want to go back. There's also some weeks where they come out less because I'm really busy. They are all perfectly happy though. As long as I feed them, they could care less about me taking them out!

In terms of losing your one boy in the future, I know it's hard to lose the little guys, I lost 2 of my favourites in the last 8 months. It's of course sad and heartbreaking, but I always try and focus on the good they had. Personally, I think it would be worse to rehome them and then have no idea how they are or to not have any say in decisions about their lives or health.

I imagine your piggies are perfectly happy in their home with you!

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
I definitely agress with everything above. Handling them is one of the least important parts. As long as they have a large, clean cage with plenty of food and water, they will be happy!

I have 10 girls and each one gets lap time about 2-3 times a week, sometimes only for a few minutes because they want to go back. There's also some weeks where they come out less because I'm really busy. They are all perfectly happy though. As long as I feed them, they could care less about me taking them out!

In terms of losing your one boy in the future, I know it's hard to lose the little guys, I lost 2 of my favourites in the last 8 months. It's of course sad and heartbreaking, but I always try and focus on the good they had. Personally, I think it would be worse to rehome them and then have no idea how they are or to not have any say in decisions about their lives or health.

I imagine your piggies are perfectly happy in their home with you!

Thank you! I seriously thought I was neglecting them lol. They are a little more reluctant to come to my hands than they used to be, but I may be able to fix that :) I think this will work out.
I agree, I would like to know what happens to my boys, but geez, Snickers brother had such a slow death, I'm going to remember that horrible night forever. Rest in peace Twix :(
Hopefully Snickers and Otis pass peacefully from old age and nothing medical!

(10 PIGS? Wowow. Kudos to you!)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I find that that even feeding treats by hand in their cages increases their trust in you. It's a simple thing to start doing to get them more used to you and less hand shy. I do this with all of my pigs and now most of them come running to the front of the cage while I'm around because they think there will be goodies!

My girls love the Oxbow vitamin C cookies, so everyone gets a half each night and they all know and come scrambling over to see me. Possibly try just holding them for a bit while watching an episode of TV. I also have a little basket that sits on my desk that I will plop one in sometimes when I'm doing computer work. They will sit there happily munching on some kind of treat while I do whatever.

There's lots of little ways you can start incorporating them more into your routine, that are convenient and emjoyable for both of you!

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
I find that that even feeding treats by hand in their cages increases their trust in you. It's a simple thing to start doing to get them more used to you and less hand shy. I do this with all of my pigs and now most of them come running to the front of the cage while I'm around because they think there will be goodies!

My girls love the Oxbow vitamin C cookies, so everyone gets a half each night and they all know and come scrambling over to see me. Possibly try just holding them for a bit while watching an episode of TV. I also have a little basket that sits on my desk that I will plop one in sometimes when I'm doing computer work. They will sit there happily munching on some kind of treat while I do whatever.

There's lots of little ways you can start incorporating them more into your routine, that are convenient and emjoyable for both of you!
Thank you, those are great ideas! I used to give them each a pea flake every morning. I ran out about two months ago, I need to get some more!
I'll try letting them play on the couch or sit on my lap watching TV tonight.
Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.