Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Tevvy's Medical Thread

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Hello. I'm new to the forum as a member, but not when it has come to reading. I do hope I have posted in the correct part of the forum.

My six year old boar has been having medical problems. First it started with this horrible noise, almost like a frog, so I thought he had something caught in his throat. My guinea pig has not drank water ever since I got him when he was a month old, even though I tried to show him with both a bottle and bowl, so I had to depend on vegetables for his water source. The noise did not go away, so I took him in for a URI. He was put on antibiotics, but it still didn't go away. They tested him for cancer, checked his heart because I know that is another one for odd noises, and a lot of other ailments because he was also losing weight. It was this forum and another that made me take him in for his thyroid test, and sure enough that was the problem. Lump in throat, weight loss, running like crazy, etc. He is now on thyroid medicine... that could give him 3-6 months. I refused the surgery because he is old and already lost weight, and I didn't want to put him through that. I am giving him the quality of life. Some days are good, some are bad.

Tonight isn't a good one since the noise has returned (it comes and goes). Now that I have given you my background and I have rambled enough... is there anything else I can do? He is my only one because I wasn't taking a guinea pig at the time, but in a last minute, I saved him from being sold to the pet store, so it was kind of like a quick decision. I have also noticed because of his condition, he has a tough time cleaning himself. I would like to bathe his bum and his legs since he gets quite messy there and he has been a bit stinky, but I'm not sure what to use? I know dish soap is a huge no, and I have heard of certain shampoos, but I can't find them? I am on the East Coast, if that helps.

I apologize for such a lengthy story. I just want the best for my boy in his last few months (hopefully a year?) Thank you for reading.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kaytee makes Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo -- it's what I've always used for my pigs.

Are you checking his anal sac regularly and cleaning when necessary?

He's more likely trying to eat his cecal poops than cleaning himself. If he's having a hard time bending over, he's probably not able to retrieve the cecal poops, and they're likely what's making his rear end so stinky and messy. That could also be contributing to his weight loss. You might check to see if you can retrieve some from his anal sac and offer it to him -- that'll be the lighter green stinky stuff.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Kaytee makes Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo -- it's what I've always used for my pigs.

Are you checking his anal sac regularly and cleaning when necessary?

He's more likely trying to eat his cecal poops than cleaning himself. If he's having a hard time bending over, he's probably not able to retrieve the cecal poops, and they're likely what's making his rear end so stinky and messy. That could also be contributing to his weight loss. You might check to see if you can retrieve some from his anal sac and offer it to him -- that'll be the lighter green stinky stuff.

Hey, bpatters. Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I clean him, but it's not that kind of smell. He's always wet from urine on his stomach and backlegs I think because he's so wobbly he can't clean himself properly, so I wipe him down with some water as best as I can and dry him. Thanks for the suggestion on the shampoo. I just ordered gorgeous guineas since they recommended for the problem "Just For Boars", but I'll buy that as a backup since it might take a bit to get here.

Are there any safe wipes I can buy him so I don't always have to give him a bath, because I really would like to avoid that. I'm also thinking of getting him two companions that are four week old boars (bonded pair) just to give him some company, but I'm not sure I can since he's on thyroid medicine, or if him chasing them would make him weaker? He runs fine still, but gets a bit tired every now and then, and then spends a lot of time just relaxing.

Thanks for responding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I definitely wouldn't get him two baby boars. Three males is very nearly guaranteed to fail, and if he's not feeling well, the last thing he needs is two teenagers with attitude.

Giving him a butt bath in warm water won't hurt him. I'd rather do that than use wipes.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I took him in today since his weight loss has gotten terribly low even though he still runs around like crazy and eats, and now the tumor has hardened. The vet believes only a few more months, so I'm going to give him his quality of life. You always hope they pass peacefully in their sleep. Thanks for your replies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you have to go through this, and that Tevvy does, too. Guinea pigs should never have to deal with illnesses like this.

I'm sure he knows how much you love him, and that you're doing everything you can.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you have to go through this, and that Tevvy does, too. Guinea pigs should never have to deal with illnesses like this.

I'm sure he knows how much you love him, and that you're doing everything you can.

Thank you so much. I ended his suffering today. He was too sick, and last night he just laid on his side, looking at me so sad, and I knew he wanted to cross the piggy bridge. I'm sad, but relived I don't have to see him like that anymore. No more pain.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am truly sorry for your loss. It hurts so very much when the kindest thing you can do for them is to let them go. Just know that Tevvy appreciated how much you loved him, and loved you back for it.

Rest in peace, Tevvy. Your family will one day come to the Rainbow Bridge to take you home with them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry. Thanks for taking such good care of him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.