Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Spots' Medical Thread, was Piggy of 1 year old biting me

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated on how he's doing!

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated on how he's doing!

Do i have to feed critical care if he is still eating and drinking or do i have to with medicine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do i have to feed critical care if he is still eating and drinking or do i have to with medicine ?

It depends. It depends on the medicine and his weight, and whether or not he's eating and drinking normally. If he's not eating and drinking enough and his weight drops, you'll need to use the Critical Care

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
It depends. It depends on the medicine and his weight, and whether or not he's eating and drinking normally. If he's not eating and drinking enough and his weight drops, you'll need to use the Critical Care

705f9247ce0ce964131b09c891e51a13.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Trimethoprim sulfate. Definitely watch his appetite on this medication. It's not as hard as, say, Baytril, but it DID affect all of my own pigs appetites. Scooter wouldn't eat at all on this medication.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Just a update... he is eating all of his veggies and gets excited about the things he gets excited about again. I stopped critical care after i gave medicine and waited about an hour or two to see if he would eat on his own and he did and has gone back several times now (medicine was given after he ate food veggies and hay) he is definitely back to his normal self already and hasn't had any issues.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I just checked spots front 4 teeth and one of his top two are missing. What could have caused it. What should I do till it grows back

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I feel like my piggies aren't getting enough vitamin c. So i bought this. Any specific way i should give it to them and how much
c3024e1723a48cf54bc83623dfdbc029.jpg

Thunder

Cavy Slave
I am not an expert but I don’t think they need that if, they are getting the proper diet. If they get proper vegetables, they shouldn’t need a supplement. Also, some piggies will stop eating whatever you put it in because it has a weird taste and smell.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why do you think they're not getting enough vitamin C?

Good quality pellets (KMS Hayloft, Oxbow) have stabilized vitamin C added to them, and most veggies have it.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
It just feels like they act different when they have certain veggies which have higher vitamin c. I did just order KMS to try tho because what i was getting was Hartz and people told me it was good for them and ive seen the KMS is mentioned by a ton of people and spoken very highly of.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vitamin C doesn't affect behavior.

The signs that indicate a need for more vitamin C are hind leg weakness (up to and including the inability to walk), dull hair, hair loss, weight loss, diarrhea.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
You are right about switching from Hartz to a better quality brand like KMS or Oxbow. If you decide to supplement vitamin C, you can put a drop or two on fresh veggies and see if they will eat them.

Don’t use anything in the water because vitamin C is water soluble so it doesn’t maintain potency in water. You never know how much they get since you don’t know how much they drink. And if the water tastes different, they may stop drinking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.