Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Show me your C&C table. What do you have it on besides the grid stand?

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
So i love my cage, but i hate the stand i made for it. Can you show me the tables you used to put your cage on? i have a 2x4 with a huge upper deck too. Grids are from Amazon from whitmore. They are the correct size. I am thinking about an ikea lack TV stand, but its only 21 5/8 wide and the grids are 28". Pic of my cage for attention :)
IMG_4930.jpglack-tv-unit-brown__0544147_PE654908_S4.JPG

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have two Idea Lack tables under mine, but it's made of closet shelving so the bottom is very sturdy.

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
i think im going to just use the grids for the bottom, just remove the ones i am using as feet and put it on top of 1 lack table. do you think that overhang on both sides is insignificant?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know how well it will work with grids as the bottom of the cage. My closet shelving is very stiff along all the edges, so the walls don't sag at all. I'm not sure that would be the case with grids on the bottom -- I think the walls will cause the outside edges of the bottom to sag.

Also, you need to figure some way to fasten it to the table so it doesn't slip off if something or somebody runs into it.

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
your right... i think i am going to switch to a midwest cage and somehow figure out a second story

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You got boars or sows? No Midwest cage is large enough for two boars.

But you could easily put a couple of lengths of closet shelving under the grid bottom to stiffen it.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is it that you don't like about the stand? What problem are you trying to fix?

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I use a LINNMON table top with 4 metal legs that I had cut down to 18 inches. I found my table & legs on the want adds for 30$. They come in different sizes but this one is great as it fits a 2x4 perfectly and gives me enough storage for 2 hays bins, one liner bin and a paper grocery bag for garbage (haven't gotten around to finding a narrow bin that can slide under). The table top measures 59 x 29 1/2

IMG_4311.jpg

equinox96

Cavy Slave
The picture I just put up before is for my rescue piggies. My home piggies are on a c&c base. I just noticed that yours don't have bottom grids to stabilize you "legs". I have an L shaped 2x5 with a loft that I use for storage and it is really stable. I used a 1x1 wood post with metal L brackets screwed on top with a little space to fit over the grids before putting my second level which makes it even more stable.

IMG_3018.jpg

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
Well I got a new boar Monday, I got 2 Midwest’s to try and bond them in a neutral zone after 4.5 hours of floor time. I have the 2 Midwest’s merged together right now and at night I throw up a separation wall. They still don’t get along very well. I took down that beautiful cage you see up there and I am doing a 2x5 now with a party patio I think.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Well I got a new boar Monday, I got 2 Midwest?s to try and bond them in a neutral zone after 4.5 hours of floor time. I have the 2 Midwest?s merged together right now and at night I throw up a separation wall. They still don?t get along very well. I took down that beautiful cage you see up there and I am doing a 2x5 now with a party patio I think.

Just want to understand are you separating the boars at night and then putting them together? That will stress them out and make it more difficult to bond. As long as they are eating, not losing weight and no blood is being drawn they don't need to be separated.

Changing to the 2x5 is a much better idea. All those narrow areas at time are prime spots for bullying. Expanding length wise is always better than height wise.

I would also take out that wooden hidey since it really only has on entrance. It is better to use hideouts with two entrances/exits so neither of your boys gets trapped. Tunnels are forests are great to use, they also don't take up running space.

Best of luck to your boys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.