Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Vinyl Flooring in C&C cage.

Cavy_steps

Cavy Slave
I?ve recently built a C&C cage with a wood base covered in vinyl tiles. Can I not using bedding and just put puppy pads under the eating area? Will the vinyl cause problems with their feet?

IMG_2267.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No.

The pigs will 100 % eat the puppy pads, which will cause serious if not fatal illness. The idea behind the bedding is to wick away the urine, keeping them dry.

There are several different options presented on this site, all of which will fit an owners needs in some way, shape or form. But just plain vinyl flooring really isn't one of them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What the vinyl will cause problems with is their digestive systems if they eat it. You'll have to make sure that they can't get to the edges where the tiles are.
[MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] uses plastic picture frame edges. I can't find exactly what she recommends. Maybe she'll see this and post a link to it.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: Vinyl Flooring in C&C cage.

Can I not using bedding and just put puppy pads under the eating area? Will the vinyl cause problems with their feet?
You need bedding for the whole cage. Either use fleece bedding or disposable bedding.

Guinea pigs cannot be litter trained. They will pee and poop where they want.

See these threads:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/58123-Review-UHaul-blanket

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107419-3-full-weeks-of-wood-pellets

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
spy9doc uses plastic picture frame edges. I can't find exactly what she recommends. Maybe she'll see this and post a link to it.

Yes, I use something like the presentation binder spines only they are much heavier plastic and far more durable. You can find them at a Michael's Craft Store where they are called poster hangars. They come in two foot lengths in packages and are in the framing section. You will need a pair of heavy, sharp scissors to cut them or else something like a razor knife. They look like this:

Poster hangars.jpg

Attachments

Poster hangarsS.jpg

Cavy_steps

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I have purchased washable bed pads, they a soft upper layer an a absorbant.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have purchased washable bed pads, they a soft upper layer an a absorbant.

You may need something else. I have sewn fleece liners on top of washable incontinence pads. Everything just goes into the washer together with unscented laundry detergent plus a bit of bleach.

And, no, absolutely do not use puppy pads! Most of them have an attractant odor for dogs. It seems to do just that to cavies! My boys will dig under the fleece liners to get to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.