Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Kijiji Rescues

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Thought you guys may like to see a couple photos of a pair girls I took in today.

I picked them up today from a person on Kijiji who told me he took them from his friend who was going to use them as snake food. The guy had great intentions but was not prepared to house them or care for them correctly and was desperately looking for someone who could help.

The ad was only about 15 minutes from my house and since I lost Margaret earlier this month, I have some extra space and supplies so I decided to reach out and offer to take them off his hands.

I'm not sure if they will be permanent members of the clan yet, but in the mean time, they are set up in a secure cage with proper food and I'll be bringing them in to my vet for a wellness check next week. I figured this was the least I could do. They will be well cared for until I make any final decisions.

I'm not going to lie though, I'm definitely leaning towards keeping them! They are obviously very nervous, but both are gorgeous and they remind me a lot of my first pair, Margaret and Gretchen. Their faces are so similar, I couldn't ignore the ad. Lol, it's dangerous to surf kijiji or craigslist.

I'm not sure on their age and the man I got them from had no idea, but I don't think they are full grown yet. They are still on the small side, I'm thinking maybe in the 8 month range, but we all know its very hard to tell.

Anyways! Here's a couple photos of them in their quarantine cage. I have them separated in a different room, well away from my ladies. For now they are in the extra large pet store cage, but I'm going to see if it's possible to whip up a cat proof C&C for their quarantine until they are clear to move into the pig room.

I'll update as they become more comfortable with their surroundings.

Screenshot_20180525-215451_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20180525-215526_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20180525-215615_Instagram.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pigs! I think you've just added two to your herd!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie I was told that a relative of the friend had them originally and then no longer wanted them, who then passed them on to the person who planned to use them as snake food. When the Kijiji seller heard his friend planned on feeding them to his snake he bought them off his friend. Hopefully that made sense!

I just can't believe the little ladies have been passed around this much in their short lifespans. I don't understand how anyone gets any kind of pet and just gives it away willy nilly, not even caring where it goes.

They are in pretty good shape though, just a little on the thin side. I'm sure some good food will fix that up though. Their eyes are bright and they are alert and have soft coats.

I would obviously love to keep them and it's likely that I will, I just need to be sure it works with my set up and finances. These 2 bring me up to 10 girls. Lol I obviously already spend a lot on veggies/hay/pellets and have a good vet savings. I just want to be sure I have all my bases covered financially.

I think they will probably stay though, I'm just hoping they want to get along with some roommates when the time comes! I have a quad, a trio and a grumpy single senior. I'm hoping one of those options will want some company!

And yes, they currently are name less. I'll think some up in the coming days. I want to have a better idea of their personalities before I pick anything. They have spent the past 6 hours huddling together in the log bridge in their cage. Suffice to say, they are nervous and need some time to settle in.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] !

I say that because I know, as I think you do, that these little ladies aren't going anywhere. They're absolutely precious. Thank you for rescuing them, as I'm sure they thank you too.

I think they'll love what I'm pretty sure is now their furever home!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I know, as I think you do, that these little ladies aren't going anywhere.

Haha, you are likely very correct! There's just something really special about these 2. I'm looking forward to seeing them come out of their shells.

I don't normally look on Kijiji, but I just did randomly on my break at work the other day and I couldn't ignore their little faces. Lol I was looking for aquarium plants and then just migrated over to the guinea pig section.

I really need to start thinking up some names to fit with the old lady theme!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't look on Kijiji because I can't. I can't have more than 2 (space and finances) but I still have three, and if I looked I'd have a lot of pigs, because I just can't say no to these little faces.

My grandmother's names were Mildred and Dorothy :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm currently leaning towards Greta for the shorter haired one and Winnie for the longer haired girl.

I booked them a vet appointment for Monday, just for a wellness visit. I'm sure everything will go well though, I've given them a good check over and they look and sound good.

Once their quarantine is up I think I'm going to try introducing them to my quad. They are in a 2x9 right now, so there's some space for them in there if all goes well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm currently leaning towards Greta for the shorter haired one and Winnie for the longer haired girl.

I booked them a vet appointment for Monday, just for a wellness visit. I'm sure everything will go well though, I've given them a good check over and they look and sound good.

Once their quarantine is up I think I'm going to try introducing them to my quad. They are in a 2x9 right now, so there's some space for them in there if all goes well.

Great names, @sallyvh , and definitely in keeping with the old lady theme! No matter their names, of one thing I'm certain. They'll have a great life, and be very much loved and well looked after at your house!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
So we are back from the vet. Everything checks out perfectly well with both of them. Heart and lungs sound normal and their vet was able to get a good look at their teeth, which looked good.

Our only struggle is getting the one girl to eat. Both pigs are insanely nervous, one more than the other. Greta is eating bits, I have seen her eating some veggies and hay. Meanwhile, Winnie won't move. She is always in the same hide, with untouched veggies pellets and hay with her. Neither have touched their water bottles, so I have been wetting their veggies and added a water bowl.

Our vet suggested a bit of handfeeding. However Winnie won't chew or swallow it. She is so scared, you can put the critical care in her mouth and she just sits there and eventually it runs out of her mouth. Greta on the other hand ate a bit of critical care with no issues.

These poor pigs are just so nervous. I've brought several girls home through the years, most with questionable backgrounds, and I have never had ones as afraid or squirrelly as these.

I'm just hoping I can make some progress with Winnie and she starts to eat more on her own. If there's no improvement in a couple days I am going to consider breaking quarantine and introducing her to some other girls in the hopes that they can show her it's ok to wander about, eat and drink.

IMG_20180527_111535_019.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good luck!

For what it's worth, I'd go ahead and introduce them.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very good news with their health checks, but I feel so badly for them that they're that terrified.

I'm with [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. Give them some friends :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Thanks guy! I'll probably go ahead and try them later this week. I want to wait until I have a couple days off so I can really keep an eye on them. God knows how long it will take to intro my quad to the pair!

My girls have generally been pretty welcoming to new members, so I'm hoping all goes smoothly. It would be nice if they could all just cooperate!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Sometimes just being with confident pigs helps them come around and start eating. Hopefully your girls will welcome the new beauties.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
So the girls are slowly warming up. Today was the first time they wheeked for morning veggies! They are still currently living on their own, I'm super busy this upcoming week and don't really have the time I would like to put towards introductions. So it's safer for them to stay how they are. I did move them by the other pigs though, so they can hear their activities and antics!

The girls are starting to improve. I pretty much turned their whole cage into a hide with log bridges and step stools and they have been wandering around more.

We are still having some issues with Winnie eating though. She won't touch much of anything but she's finally started swallowing some critical care though, so I know she's getting some nutrition.

I've talked to her vet and we have agreed that if her weight is still moving downwards over the next few days and her eating isn't really improving that we will schedule her for a more in depth dental exam early in the week, just to rule out a physical issue.

She's perked up a bunch over the past couple days though. She's also quickly stealing my heart! I bring her out for critical care she's started being more responsive and relaxed. I'm really happy to see both of them starting to adjust more!

20180601_140122.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Adorable. I'm so glad they're coming out of their shells, but Winnie not eating concerns me, and I'm sure it does you.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Baby steps, baby steps. They can't help but thrive under your care! ;)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Over the past week I have seen a lot of positives with the ladies! Mainly that Winnie is not losing weight and has been eating more. She's not really gaining yet, but she is maintaining without additional hand feeding.

I spoke to my vet today and she recommended just waiting right now for a sedated exam/trim, as long as she is maintaining. If in a few weeks there's no gain or of she starts losing weight, then we will go ahead with the exam. She is very easily stressed and we both agreed that if she is eating, right now we will just observe as the stress of the visit could be a big set back. Thankfully, I have seen her eating pellets veggies and nibbling at hay.

I have been handling them every day, despite their rejections and they are getting MUCH better. Greta wheeks a lot at evening veggie time and is starting to come up to the bars a bit when she hears me opening their veggie containers. Winnie is still pretty shy, but will poke her little head out when she hears dinner coming!

One thing I wish is that they would drink from their water bottles. They have a water crock that they will drink from but I change that thing like 10 times a day and it gets nasty very quickly!

I did some photos with the girls today and decided to give it a go with them. They were nervous of the camera at first but handled the experience well. Both are very cute and I'm happy that they have ended up with me. I'm positive that they will slowly transform into confident pigs.

Greta is the first one and Winnie is second.

20180610_180708.jpg

Screenshot_20180610-194705_Instagram.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have no doubt that both of these pretty little ladies will blossom under your care, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION]. They've already come a fair way in their short time with you, and I'm sure the best is yet to come.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Just a little update since our last one was nearly a month ago.

Greta and Winnie continue to do well! Both girls go crazy at veggie time now, lots of wheeking and running around. They still spook easily, but both come out to eat and drink.

Winnie has been doing well in the weight department. She is eating a bit more hay now, not nearly as much as Greta, but still an improvement! She has also gained about 50 grams this past month. I know it's not a lot, but each week she is a little heavier. She's still bony, so I'm hoping the gaining trend continues.

They are pretty quirky. In the cage Greta is much more outgoing, however, when out for lap time she is more shy and uneasy. While Winnie is the opposite, she's very timid in the cage, but she likes lap time and will happily relax now.

They are still on their own. I haven't introduced them to any other group yet because I'm thinking of building a giant C&C to try and put all the girls together. I don't know if it will happen yet, but we will see. I have them, a trio, a quad and a single. Mavis the single will be staying on her own, she has created too much carnage in the past and is happy living divided, but I would love to have the other 9 in one big cage.

Regardless, I am so happy I brought these girls home. I love seeing their progress and I know that they will live the rest of their lives being taken care of properly and loved on.

Here's some photos and I'll throw in a collage of the whole gang!

inCollage_20180705_000519557.jpg

inCollage_20180705_000400428.jpg

inCollage_20180704_235838120.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I thought some of you may appreciate an update on Winnie and Greta.

These girls are doing FANTASTIC! I never could have imagined the changes I have seen in them. Both girls behave like regular guinea pigs now. Still more skittish compared to my other girls, but the improvement is amazing to see!

Both will happily sit out in their cage and eat. They always come running up to the grids to see what goodies I have and they both easily let me scratch their heads when they know food is involved! They hate being picked up (like most pigs) but both will relax for laptime and snuggles.

Winnie's teeth have been given the all clear as well! She has gained weight and every week she weighs a little more. We went for a vet update/recheck a few weeks ago and everything went fine. My vet and I agreed that she shows zero signs of needing a dental now and everything that she could see during her mouth exam looked normal. The poor girl was just too afraid to eat. It took her at least 2.5 months to start eating normally.

I'm so happy to see these ladies flourish and come alive. They are so sweet and good natured. I cannot imagine the pig room wihout them!

Here's some recent photos. The 1st two are Greta, the last two are Winnie.

Screenshot_20180922-085847_Instagram.jpg

20180916_233145.jpg

Screenshot_20180922-085712_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20180916-233319_Instagram.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.