Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Kijiji Rescues

Thought you guys may like to see a couple photos of a pair girls I took in today.

I picked them up today from a person on Kijiji who told me he took them from his friend who was going to use them as snake food. The guy had great intentions but was not prepared to house them or care for them correctly and was desperately looking for someone who could help.

The ad was only about 15 minutes from my house and since I lost Margaret earlier this month, I have some extra space and supplies so I decided to reach out and offer to take them off his hands.

I'm not sure if they will be permanent members of the clan yet, but in the mean time, they are set up in a secure cage with proper food and I'll be bringing them in to my vet for a wellness check next week. I figured this was the least I could do. They will be well cared for until I make any final decisions.

I'm not going to lie though, I'm definitely leaning towards keeping them! They are obviously very nervous, but both are gorgeous and they remind me a lot of my first pair, Margaret and Gretchen. Their faces are so similar, I couldn't ignore the ad. Lol, it's dangerous to surf kijiji or craigslist.

I'm not sure on their age and the man I got them from had no idea, but I don't think they are full grown yet. They are still on the small side, I'm thinking maybe in the 8 month range, but we all know its very hard to tell.

Anyways! Here's a couple photos of them in their quarantine cage. I have them separated in a different room, well away from my ladies. For now they are in the extra large pet store cage, but I'm going to see if it's possible to whip up a cat proof C&C for their quarantine until they are clear to move into the pig room.

I'll update as they become more comfortable with their surroundings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180525-215451_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	84841

Name:	Screenshot_20180525-215526_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	84842

Name:	Screenshot_20180525-215615_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	84843

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Re: Kijiji Rescues

Cute pigs! I think you've just added two to your herd!

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

They are beautiful. Amazingly they look like they have been well cared for in spite of the idiot who was going to use them for snake food. Do you have any idea how the original owner acquired these girls?

Thank you so much for taking them into your home. I'm going to side with the girls and hope that you do decide to keep them. I can't imagine them having a better home. I assume they do not have any names yet?

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

@Kelsie I was told that a relative of the friend had them originally and then no longer wanted them, who then passed them on to the person who planned to use them as snake food. When the Kijiji seller heard his friend planned on feeding them to his snake he bought them off his friend. Hopefully that made sense!

I just can't believe the little ladies have been passed around this much in their short lifespans. I don't understand how anyone gets any kind of pet and just gives it away willy nilly, not even caring where it goes.

They are in pretty good shape though, just a little on the thin side. I'm sure some good food will fix that up though. Their eyes are bright and they are alert and have soft coats.

I would obviously love to keep them and it's likely that I will, I just need to be sure it works with my set up and finances. These 2 bring me up to 10 girls. Lol I obviously already spend a lot on veggies/hay/pellets and have a good vet savings. I just want to be sure I have all my bases covered financially.

I think they will probably stay though, I'm just hoping they want to get along with some roommates when the time comes! I have a quad, a trio and a grumpy single senior. I'm hoping one of those options will want some company!

And yes, they currently are name less. I'll think some up in the coming days. I want to have a better idea of their personalities before I pick anything. They have spent the past 6 hours huddling together in the log bridge in their cage. Suffice to say, they are nervous and need some time to settle in.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

They're beautiful! I love the red eyes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    589 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Congratulations, @sallyvh !

I say that because I know, as I think you do, that these little ladies aren't going anywhere. They're absolutely precious. Thank you for rescuing them, as I'm sure they thank you too.

I think they'll love what I'm pretty sure is now their furever home!

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    I know, as I think you do, that these little ladies aren't going anywhere.
    Haha, you are likely very correct! There's just something really special about these 2. I'm looking forward to seeing them come out of their shells.

I don't normally look on Kijiji, but I just did randomly on my break at work the other day and I couldn't ignore their little faces. Lol I was looking for aquarium plants and then just migrated over to the guinea pig section.

I really need to start thinking up some names to fit with the old lady theme!

Thanks
    Thanks
    589 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

I don't look on Kijiji because I can't. I can't have more than 2 (space and finances) but I still have three, and if I looked I'd have a lot of pigs, because I just can't say no to these little faces.

My grandmother's names were Mildred and Dorothy

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I'm currently leaning towards Greta for the shorter haired one and Winnie for the longer haired girl.

I booked them a vet appointment for Monday, just for a wellness visit. I'm sure everything will go well though, I've given them a good check over and they look and sound good.

Once their quarantine is up I think I'm going to try introducing them to my quad. They are in a 2x9 right now, so there's some space for them in there if all goes well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    589 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    I'm currently leaning towards Greta for the shorter haired one and Winnie for the longer haired girl.

I booked them a vet appointment for Monday, just for a wellness visit. I'm sure everything will go well though, I've given them a good check over and they look and sound good.

Once their quarantine is up I think I'm going to try introducing them to my quad. They are in a 2x9 right now, so there's some space for them in there if all goes well.
    Great names, @sallyvh , and definitely in keeping with the old lady theme! No matter their names, of one thing I'm certain. They'll have a great life, and be very much loved and well looked after at your house!

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

So we are back from the vet. Everything checks out perfectly well with both of them. Heart and lungs sound normal and their vet was able to get a good look at their teeth, which looked good.

Our only struggle is getting the one girl to eat. Both pigs are insanely nervous, one more than the other. Greta is eating bits, I have seen her eating some veggies and hay. Meanwhile, Winnie won't move. She is always in the same hide, with untouched veggies pellets and hay with her. Neither have touched their water bottles, so I have been wetting their veggies and added a water bowl.

Our vet suggested a bit of handfeeding. However Winnie won't chew or swallow it. She is so scared, you can put the critical care in her mouth and she just sits there and eventually it runs out of her mouth. Greta on the other hand ate a bit of critical care with no issues.

These poor pigs are just so nervous. I've brought several girls home through the years, most with questionable backgrounds, and I have never had ones as afraid or squirrelly as these.

I'm just hoping I can make some progress with Winnie and she starts to eat more on her own. If there's no improvement in a couple days I am going to consider breaking quarantine and introducing her to some other girls in the hopes that they can show her it's ok to wander about, eat and drink.

Name:	IMG_20180527_111535_019.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	84855

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Those poor girls! Heaven only knows what they might have gone through in their short lives with being shuffled about from home to home. I'm so happy that their health checks went well and they had no medical issues. I'm sure with lots of TLC from you they will eventually come around and realize that they are in a safe home. These pigs certainly need to be with someone like you who is knowledgeable about guinea pigs and has the patience to help them overcome their fears.

I wish you the best of luck with them. Please keep us informed on their progress.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Good luck!

For what it's worth, I'd go ahead and introduce them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    589 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Very good news with their health checks, but I feel so badly for them that they're that terrified.

I'm with @bpatters. Give them some friends

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Thanks guy! I'll probably go ahead and try them later this week. I want to wait until I have a couple days off so I can really keep an eye on them. God knows how long it will take to intro my quad to the pair!

My girls have generally been pretty welcoming to new members, so I'm hoping all goes smoothly. It would be nice if they could all just cooperate!

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

Sometimes just being with confident pigs helps them come around and start eating. Hopefully your girls will welcome the new beauties.

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

So the girls are slowly warming up. Today was the first time they wheeked for morning veggies! They are still currently living on their own, I'm super busy this upcoming week and don't really have the time I would like to put towards introductions. So it's safer for them to stay how they are. I did move them by the other pigs though, so they can hear their activities and antics!

The girls are starting to improve. I pretty much turned their whole cage into a hide with log bridges and step stools and they have been wandering around more.

We are still having some issues with Winnie eating though. She won't touch much of anything but she's finally started swallowing some critical care though, so I know she's getting some nutrition.

I've talked to her vet and we have agreed that if her weight is still moving downwards over the next few days and her eating isn't really improving that we will schedule her for a more in depth dental exam early in the week, just to rule out a physical issue.

She's perked up a bunch over the past couple days though. She's also quickly stealing my heart! I bring her out for critical care she's started being more responsive and relaxed. I'm really happy to see both of them starting to adjust more!

Name:	20180601_140122.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	84862

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

I've been waiting for news on the girls. I'm so happy that they are starting to feel more comfortable. I can see why Winnie is winning your heart. She has the sweetest face.

Thanks
    Thanks
    589 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Adorable. I'm so glad they're coming out of their shells, but Winnie not eating concerns me, and I'm sure it does you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,546 Rec'd/1,273 Posts
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1148 Post(s)

Baby steps, baby steps. They can't help but thrive under your care!

User Tag List