Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Questions about type of foods for 1 year old pigs.

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
I was reading the site and noticed that you should not feed adult pigs timothy hay.

My pigs are about a year old which i just found makes them mature (read they are at 6 months). They are in excellent health.

I buy Oxbow food and Alfalfa Hay from Small Pet Select.

Should i switch to Timothy Hay? Small pet select says that 2nd cut Timothy hay is the gold standard for healthy adult pigs. If i should switch, should i throw out the alfalfa hay i have now once the timothy hay comes in? Should i go buy some timothy hay tomorrow to switch them until the hay from SPS arrives? Do i mix the new hay with what i have to gradually change it or can i just start using the new hay?

i will buy oxbow food and wanted to confirm which type of it to get. Should i get the oxbow Essentials Adult?

We give the pigs different veggies and snacks. Do the veggies or snacks we give them need to change now that they are adults?

thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where did you find that? Timothy hay is the preferred hay for guinea pigs of all ages. Alfalfa can be used as a supplement for young pigs because it's high in calcium, but should not be fed to pigs over six months of age.

You can continue feeding what you've got until the new stuff comes. A few more days isn't going to make any difference. And you can switch cold turkey or phase the new stuff in, whatever works.

We recommend two brands of pellets -- KMS Hayloft, which is available only online, and Oxbow Cavy Cuisine.

The snacks/food don't need to change except that you should always feed low calcium foods.

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the replies. I would have to find it again, but I believe two sources said Alfalfa was not for all guineas. I may have read it wrong though, which was I wanted to as here as well.

Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's true that adult pigs should not be fed alfalfa. But your first post said, "I was reading the site and noticed that you should not feed adult pigs timothy hay." Did you mean to say alfalfa?

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
It's true that adult pigs should not be fed alfalfa. But your first post said, "I was reading the site and noticed that you should not feed adult pigs timothy hay." Did you mean to say alfalfa?

you are correct, I got it backwards. Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.