Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Coccidia ( coccidiosis) in Guinea Pigs and Panacur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Our piggy came down with this condition a couple months ago after suffering chronic diarrhoea. At the time, our vet gave her a five-day course of Panacur (turned into 17 but...!) Now, I know that in maybe Australia they use Albon, and Baycox is often used (strong stuff!) but I couldn't find any posts about people having experience with being prescribed this for their piggy and the outcome!! We did find a post from a vet that said it was thought at one time that Pacacur worked for coccidiosis but now they know it doesn't. And that worried us!! Well, I want to say it worked for our piggy!

We were sceptical but after the first treatment, our pig seemed Sooo much better!! However, after five days we freaked out as she was still having diarrhea. The vet said it wouldn't hurt her to keep her on it for 21 days (she already had a 5-day break from it). After day 17, we got her retested and she was clear! The Medicine worked! We were all ready to ditch it and use Baycox or something else! But I want to leave this here as it did work!! Have faith! The diarrhoea unfortunately kept going after that and she was diagnosed with cystitis later. Then the diarrhoea kept going for no reason!! See my post about using 1/2 a level teaspoon of activated charcoal powder with 1/2 a cup of pellets, syringe a little at mealtimes...advice from Vedra Stanley at the CCT!! Miracle.

Also, I wanted to point out to people (at least in the Uk) that if you can find a vet that does IN HOUSE poo testing, it'll be ?15 versus ?100 or more if they send it out!!! Dr Kashiv from Vets and Pets in Broxbourne does it. He's so reasonable and he's a major piggy expert recommended by the CCT! Worth the drive. FYI!!!

Multiple posts. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.