Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Ceasar's Medical Thread

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
My piggie can eat small pieace. Like I gave him cucumber but he just biting it but not eating it so I have to make small pieace of that to make him eat. He is not eating bell pepper or hard food and he lose 30 grams so tell me what is it. If someone going through this please give me some suggestions to make him eat [emoji29]

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Biting but not eating

It sounds like a tooth problem, and he needs a vet with rodent dentistry experience. I know that's probably very hard to find in your area, but you need one if at all possible. It's nothing you can manage yourself.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Could you see my piggy teeth he is shifting his lower incisor to the right I think his lower incisor overgrown... Is that the symptoms of that?

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

This one is clear

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

That's the symptom of a problem with the molars. The slanted incsior is the result of that, and is NOT the cause of his eating difficulties.

Your pig may have an abscessed tooth, or elongated tooth roots, a problem with the jaw, or a genetic problem. He needs skull x-rays and a rodent dentist. You will not be able to treat this yourself, and a small animal vet will not likely be able to do so either.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

But I know a rabbit vet so should I go there tomorrow?

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

But there is swelling in abscess. Is it right?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

There is no way that I, or you, can know what is wrong with your guinea pig. You need to see a vet who can do skull x-rays. If your pig needs work on the teeth, you need a vet with experience in rodent dentistry.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Okay I'll bring him to vet tomorrow

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

I was just asking to check vet will find out the real reason or he's not a exotic vet

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

We have no idea. We don't know the vet, or what kind of diagnostic equipment he has. You could call the vet's office and ask.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Today I went to the vet and he said there is no problem with his teeth. So he gave him some medicine I don't know which one and I asked him what medicine you are giving him he wasn't telling me. So I couldn't figure out that medicine name and he said he has a fever so because of that he is giving him that and also for his gut, he said he has some problem with his stomach because he asked me about his stools and I told him that only today he had two small stool (not usual once poop) before that he had lose stools. So now I'm giving my piggy his comfortable space after that syringe feeding medicine torture which he never had in his life. To let him eat I'm giving him his favorite food (baby corn, tomato in small quantities, little green bell paper, watermelon for water intake because he hates normal water, lettuce, lot of grass but he is eating full bowl grass while taking 3 turns). Is that what I should give him because vet didn't tell me anything when I asked him.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

His weight decreasing by 0.5 ounces. Should I give him pellet smash through syringe instead of Critical care

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

I need a quick reply but no body answering any of my questions. I think this guinea pig forum is of no use

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

I need a quick reply but no body answering any of my questions. I think this guinea pig forum is of no use

People are not responding because it is the middle of the night here in the US! Most of us are professionals and have a life that doesn't revolve around our cavies, especially on a weekend, so we aren't on the forum every minute.

I understand that it must be difficult for you when you have few resources. I don't know the history of the current issue with your piggy, but a couple of thoughts. Be cautious when feeding grass as it can often upset a cavy's stomach and cause loose stool. Start out with a little at a time until his system gets accustomed to it. If you need to syringe food, you can't be concerned about the piggy's comfort........a cavy needs food moving through its system or it may develop g.i. stasis which can be deadly.

If you don't have access to Critical Care, then yes, you need to crush up pellets and make a slurry for him. Try to find a small pet feeding syringe at a pet store to most easily do the feeding. I suggest one that is 30ml in size. His weight decreasing 0.5 oz is no more than a good poop or pee and can easily vary this much over the course of a day.

Are you asking the right questions of your vet? It sounds as though you simply are not obtaining enough information to make informed choices. You are paying for his services and you have a right to have your questions satisfactorily answered. Because you don't have access to specialized care, you are going to need to do a lot of research for yourself and simply learn as much as you can. I wish you all the best!

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Thank you so much for replying. I understand now that you all are busy and I thought there is no one alive to answer my question (silly me). Thank you for clarifying . Now I am going to take my piggy xrays. Maybe from that we can find out the real reason of his not eating

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Vet said he has a worming problem so he gave him deworming medicine and liquid for gut flow. Let's see what will happen

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

Now please tell me what's the problem?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

He's got some kind of digestive upset.

What medicines is he still on, if any? What medicines, what strength, what dosage?

What exactly is he eating, and how much of each thing?

How long as his poop looked like this?

What is your pig's name, so I can change the name of the thread?

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave

His name is ceaser and he is not in any antibiotics. Is it because of hot in here (34?C)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.