Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding x2 unaltered male with x1 altered female?

catmage

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Someone has dropped off a pair of piggies at my vet's office. They are a bonded pair of one unaltered male and a spayed female. They have been there a while and one of the vet techs is taking care of them until they are adopted. I was thinking of adopting them, but I have x1 unaltered male piggie already. The adoptable male is VERY shy and submissive and the female is laid back and chill. My male is laid back as well.

I have seen people with 4-5 piggies that have a mix of genders, but I am unsure if I've seen 2 males and 1 female. Would this work out? Opinions? Thanks.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two males would tend to fight over the female. Two females with one male generally works well, but not so much the other way around. It really does depend on the temperament of the pigs, but usually two males with one female is a no-no.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
General rule is only one male per any number of females. Even if the female is spayed, the males don't know that, and will fight one another for the right to mate.

catmage

Cavy Slave
Out of curiosity, why would the males fight over the female if she doesn't go into estrus?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd have to ask the males, but they do. I presume there are some sex-specific pheromones that are present even if the female isn't in heat.

Of all the years I've been on this board and Guinea Lynx, I think I've heard of three or four cases where multiple males have lived happily with females, but that's all. In one case, one of the males was a much older boar, and all of them were described as very mellow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.