Thread: Can you keep Guinea pigs outside?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Can you keep Guinea pigs outside?

Hi, I live in North Georgia in the U.S and I want to get two guinea pigs but I don't have much space in my house, so I want to keep them outside almost all day with maybe some cooling & in the shade with a few sunning spots. I have heard that they are really sensitive to temperature, and it can get pretty hot down here. I've tried to search it but can't find anything relevant to my situation, probably cause everyone already knows the answer . Any help is appreciated, Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    416 Rec'd/373 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

Re: Can you keep Guinea pigs outside?

Short answer?

It's a bad idea. Not only are they temperature sensitive, they are also susceptible to other outdoor critters. Bugs, snakes, predatory birds and other things like that. If you can't keep them safely indoors, it's probably best that you don't get them.

Anything much above 75 degrees, and you're risking heat stroke. Heat stroke is generally fatal for a pig.

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,035 Rec'd/5,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    1982 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3635 Post(s)

No, you definitely can't keep guinea pigs outside in Georgia. And they need pretty big cages -- a pair of sows will need 8-10 square feet, and boars around 12 square feet. You might want to investigate a pet that doesn't need as much room, or that use a tall, multi-level cage. Those aren't suitable for guinea pigs.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Short answer?

It's a bad idea. Not only are they temperature sensitive, they are also susceptible to other outdoor critters. Bugs, snakes, predatory birds and other things like that. If you can't keep them safely indoors, it's probably best that you don't get them.

Anything much above 75 degrees, and you're risking heat stroke. Heat stroke is generally fatal for a pig.

Thanks for the info, I will try looking into some cages. Or maybe a different pet :/
    I would NOT want anything like heat stroke or getting eaten happen .

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    No, you definitely can't keep guinea pigs outside in Georgia. And they need pretty big cages -- a pair of sows will need 8-10 square feet, and boars around 12 square feet. You might want to investigate a pet that doesn't need as much room, or that use a tall, multi-level cage. Those aren't suitable for guinea pigs.

Got it, I knew they needed a lot of room, but not THAT much .

User Tag List