Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Anybody seen these leashes-harness's

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
guine pig harness-leash.jpg

Just came across these and wondered if they would be safe to use? Thoughts anybody? Was thinking for using outside. Not the best yard and keep thinking they would enjoy some FL sunshine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they're NOT safe. Leashes and harnesses are never recommended for guinea pigs. Their backs are pretty fragile in the sense that they cannot bend backwards, which is why they shouldn't have wheels like hamsters, ferrets and rats do. If wearing a leash and they get startled and yank the leash, they can injure, even break their backs.

Also, guinea pigs are prey animals. They really don't like outdoor open spaces, even if you're with them. Please forget taking them out on a leash.

If you want to take them outside, you need a pen with a light cover over the top. The cover will make them feel safer, and if the pen is moveable, you can put them on different parts of the yard.

But your climate is like mine -- hot, muggy, with plenty of fire ants and other noxious critters. Guinea pigs can't tolerate heat above 85 degrees without the strong possibility of heat stroke, and even temperatures in the high seventies are uncomfortable for them. That means there are very few months when they can go out, anyway. I'd recommend just making their indoor living spaces more interesting to them.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters, didn't think about the possibility of jerking backwards, even if just by reflex. Wasn't really looking to take on a walk per se, just wanted to keep tabs on them. I'd never seen a harness made like this and thought it might be safe. We have a huge oak tree and the leaves are just about everywhere. That's what I was trying to avoid. I'd read piggies can't have oak leaves. Do you know if they can have palm fronds? I've looked buy can't find any info.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give it to them. It certainly wouldn't have been part of their diet in the wild. I'd just stick to hay and grasses.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.