Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Possible accidental inbreeding..

Pigeonmoth

Cavy Gazer
Months ago we got two pigs from a local pet shop. We were told they were both female and sisters. Awhile ago I noticed one would mount the other one and make a rumbling noise. After a little bit of research I assumed it was a dominance thing and left it at that. The pigs being together their entire lives and never breeding once I didn?t think much of it.. I did point it out to my mom at the time but she brushed it off as well. Recently I noticed the pig-Cuddles- was rather large. I know what pregnant pigs look like and to me they look similar. Because I?ve seen them out in the open mounting and the way the pig looks I?m worried she is pregnant.. not just fat. I?ve tried to feel for a baby but I can?t tell and she gets scared when I try. (That?s normal, she doesn?t like being handled much)

on on Monday we are calling for a vet.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It is important you take out the other one and try to determine if they are in fact actually a male or not. Here is a link with images to compare to https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Also keep in mind male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis that you can actually feel just under the skin, so even if you aren't certain after looking and comparing to those images you should be able to feel for the penis bone (if it is there it will feel like a firm line just above the urethral opening, whereas females are just soft and squishy in this area, and if you push just above the top of this line and roll your finger down you can even expose the penis).

If the other guinea pig is in fact a male you should separate them immediately regardless of if Cuddles is pregnant or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Turn them both over and compare their private parts -- mature guinea pigs of different sexes don't usually look much alike at all.

And ditto Soecara on separating them if one is a male. Guinea pigs can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, and if she delivers or miscarries while he's in the cage, she'll be pregnant again. That second pregnancy is very hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Pigeonmoth

Cavy Gazer
It is important you take out the other one and try to determine if they are in fact actually a male or not. Here is a link with images to compare to https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Also keep in mind male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis that you can actually feel just under the skin, so even if you aren't certain after looking and comparing to those images you should be able to feel for the penis bone (if it is there it will feel like a firm line just above the urethral opening, whereas females are just soft and squishy in this area, and if you push just above the top of this line and roll your finger down you can even expose the penis).

If the other guinea pig is in fact a male you should separate them immediately regardless of if Cuddles is pregnant or not.

I have tries to sex the pigs twice, once before this and the day of noticing the size. On the day i noticed i only checked the non pregnant one. They borh seemed female but im not sure if i did it wrong.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you turn them both over at the same time, do their genitalia look the same?

Pigeonmoth

Cavy Gazer
They do, both have V’s

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Neither one of them has obvious testicles?

Can you take some close-up, well-lit pictures of both and post them?

Pigeonmoth

Cavy Gazer
I’m sorry I can’t.. it’s rather hard to hold them when looking It stresses them both out when I try.. and I’m afraid to look at the pregnant one Incase something were to happen to the babies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to handle them regularly. It won't hurt them. You're an adult human, these are three-pound guinea pigs. Just pick them up, turn them over, and compare. If they squawk, they'll just squawk until you put them down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.