Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Introducing opposite genders/ Pregnancy

Hello! I have 2 6-month old boys and 2 2yr-old girls. I introduced one boy and one girl and they did nothing. I introduced the other boy and the other girl and they both went nuts (in a good way)! I don't understand why the first two didn't even attempt to get to know each other. Any thoughts? Also I really wanted to have a litter of guinea pigs which is why I got girls in the 1st place, but I just learned that pregnancy isn't good on guinea pigs. So should I just not allow it to happen? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/402 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Re: Introducing opposite genders/ Pregnancy

To start, this is a very anti-breeding forum and members are not allowed to post about intentional breeding.

I strongly encourage you not to pursue this, it sounds like you have done little research on breeding and the recommended ages. Not to mention, guinea pigs are prone to a whole slew of genetic diseases and it sounds like you have no background on these pigs so you have no idea if they are carriers of anything.

Separate the males from the females immediately and don't let them interact at all, not even for supervised visits. Pregnancy and delivery is extremely dangerous in guinea pigs over the 8-9 month mark who have not previously had a litter. Their pelvic ligaments are stiffer and may not be able to pass the pups, requiring an emergency surgery or resulting in death for mom and pups.

Enjoy your pairs, babies are cute but they don't stay little for long.

3. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know that the girls I have are too old for a pregnancy, the lady I got them from said they were way younger then they actually are. I also already have them separated I wouldn't keep them together. It's not like my intentions were to hurt them. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

First, consider yourself lucky that they didn't "do anything". As mentioned, pregnancy can be very hard on a sow, sometimes even resulting in death for mom, babies or both. You should never put a male and female together unless one is fixed (spayed or neutered).

House your males in their own cage, separate from your females and use a locking (or at least heavy) lid on the female cage. Never allow them to interact even for supervised visits.

User Tag List