Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the forum, hi!

Meaut

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I just found this forum looking for tips on making fleece liners, and it seemed like a lovely place. A quick little introduction, my name is Sofia and I'm 18. I've had piggies for about 14 years and I currently have 2 boars.

Gibson is 5 years old, a lunkarya with strong opinions and a love for cuddles.
G.jpg

Fjodor is about 6 months old, a red dutch. He's a curious and incredibly brave little piggie, who can't sit still for more than 2 minutes at a time.
F.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pigs! Welcome!

Lunkarya is a new one on me, so I looked it up. That's some hair on those pigs!

Meaut

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

Yeah, they're more fur than pig honestly

Veronica

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness look at these little cuties��

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family!

You have an adorable pair of little boys! I've never heard of a Lunkarya either, but he's a serious ball of fluff!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the Forum!

I have been attending guinea pig shows for years and have never heard of nor seen a Lunkarya either! Is the breed exclusive to the UK or to Europe?

Do you trim his hair at all? I formerly had a Texel who had been a show piggy when I adopted her. I had such difficulty with keeping her clean that I began to keep her coat shorter for hygiene's sake. I can imagine that you at least need to trim the hair around his bum?

Meaut

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys! (I really hope I'm doing this whole replying thing right)

I'm from Sweden, and from what I know there aren't many lunkaryas here. I know there are a few in other Nordic countries too, but other than that I really have no clue.

I do trim him, but not really for hygiene. His coat is really short on his stomach and around his bum, so he can groom without an issue. I keep his coat shorter to keep him from overheating in the summers and to make it easier for him to see and roam around.

Qkwip

Cavy Gazer
Hello! :) Adorable piggies.

Meaut

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of a Lunkarya either, but he's a serious ball of fluff!

You should come to the Niagara Pet Expo in June and meet some of the stunning little ones that will be there!

The expo just started a great section called the small animal village, which showcases and educates about proper care for small animals. I believe I will be volunteering on the Saturday with a couple of my girls and the man who runs the instagram page canadiancavy will be there with some of his lunkys.

Also, welcome to the forum @Meaut ! Your boys are gorgeous! Gibson obviously has such a nice looking coat and Fjodor has an adorable little face.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should come to the Niagara Pet Expo in June and meet some of the stunning little ones that will be there!

The expo just started a great section called the small animal village, which showcases and educates about proper care for small animals. I believe I will be volunteering on the Saturday with a couple of my girls and the man who runs the instagram page canadiancavy will be there with some of his lunkys.

Also, welcome to the forum @Meaut ! Your boys are gorgeous! Gibson obviously has such a nice looking coat and Fjodor has an adorable little face.

If you've got info on the Niagara Pet Expo, I'll be there!
Actually, just looked it up. Scotiabank Convention Centre. I will be there on the Saturday! I'm going to book some time off that day.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If you've got info on the Niagara Pet Expo, I'll be there!

https://niagarapetexpo.ca

June 9th and 10th at the Scotiabank convention center! I believe admission will be $12, there's usually wagjags or coupons that go around for discounted admissions as well and parking is free!

LOL there's usually tons of dogs at these things, but they obviously are not allowed in the critter section and there's all kinds of vendors and fun stuff if you have other kinds of pets.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry for hijacking your introductory thread, @Meaut !

Thanks Sally. I have no other pets any more other than my little men, so the critter section for me it will be!

1GuineAPiGMMY

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums, and I'm looking to rescue a couple of female Guinea Pigs and make them part of our family. I understand about how to make the C&C cages, but, one thing: What do I use to make the floor out of? I hope to get a lot of suggestions as well as tips and tricks on how to take care of my little Piggies. I want to make sure that the cage is safe and has plenty of room. Any suggestions? I look forward to meeting at least a few of you. Hope y'all have a great day, and hope to hear from you soon.

Peggy:):)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Most of us use coroplast (corrugated plastic).

Here's a page on them: https://www.guineapigcages.com, and here's some more cage info: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials.

There are jillions of pictures in the photo galleries.

And here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Meaut

Cavy Slave
Sorry for hijacking your introductory thread, @Meaut !

No worries, I'm glad you found an expo to go to!

And thank you @sallyvh ! Fjodor's face used to be even cuter, the first few months we had him one of his ears stood straight up. Unfortunately it took him a while to get used to the camera, so I don't have any photos.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.