Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Oxbow vs Versele-laga and why?

equinox96

Cavy Slave
One of my girls is having gut problems. Sick of meds, I want to go a more natural way. She bloats really easily and has had UTI a few times and constant bouts of softer poo/diarrhea. When I remove veggies, she seems better and when I remove pellets she does great. Hay is available all the time and is usually Oxbow orchard grass and sometimes Timothy. Seen no difference switching hay.

I really like Sherwoods philosophy about going more natural, removing fillers like molasses, soy and other grains. Problem is Sherwood isn't easily available around here, for now.

So doing some research I have found this Versele-Laga and here is the ingredients list:

Versele-Laga : Derivatives of vegetable origin (timothy 7%, grasses and herbs), Vegetable protein extracts, Fruit (elderberry 4%), Seeds (linseed 2%), Minerals, Fructo-oligosaccharides (0.3%), Marigold, Yucca

Oxbow :
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Wheat Middlings, Sodium Bentonite, Soybean Oil, Salt, Lignin Sulfonate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Monocalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Yeast Culture, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate

Sherwood : Alfalfa Hay, Timothy hay, Whole Flax, Whole Safflower, Monodicalcium Phospahte, Salt, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), copper Amino acid chelate, Lysine, Zinc amino acid chelate, Manganese amino acid chelate, Niacin, L-Thyacine, Selenium yeast culture, Ethylene diamene dihydroiodide, Cobalt Carbonate.

What are your opinions and/or experiences...

Now that I've written this, I'm wondering if I should simply go pellet free but I'm afraid for my girls gut.

For those wondering why there's alfalfa (calcium) in Sherwood you can read all about it here:
https://sherwoodpethealth.com/the-science/#alfalfa

thank you for any advice and help

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.