Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    May 02, 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Smile I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    hello.... my sister in law went to pick up some guinea pigs who needed homes a mom a dad and three babies that were 4 weeks old on April 1st 2018. She kept them all but the mom because the momma was pregnant again so I got the pregnant momma. Well since having her with me I have fallen in love with her she is the sweetest most loving guinea pig I have ever owned but I am worried sick! The babies that were picked up with her and dad were her first littler that wasn?t still born the lady who had them said that she had 2 litters before the last one but both were still born. Well she did have a very tiny bit of light reddish orange blood in her cage 2 days ago and I immediately was worried and still am. I have taken her to the vet they are saying she is fine and should deliver most likely today. She is pregnant because the previous owners did not separate the mom and the dad after she gave birth which is another scary thing I?m worried about. She is eating ALOT since Monday when I saw the blood but she can barley move poor girl. I have kept her water, food,veggies, and fruit in her cage and have been with her for the last 4 days straight not leaving her side. She only had the ?hiccups? movement one time but it was really like 9-10 times all in a row with no stopping or pushing in between on Monday after I found the blood but the vet is still telling me that?s normal so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Welcome!

    Please break your posts into short paragraphs with a blank line between them -- walls of text are hard to read, and many people will just skip them.

    Here's a link on pregnancy. Be sure to read the Guinea Lynx articles it refers to: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she.

    You don't have to stay with her all the time. She'd probably appreciate a break. You might come back to find all the pups in the cage with her.

  3. #3
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    May 02, 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Welcome!

    Please break your posts into short paragraphs with a blank line between them -- walls of text are hard to read, and many people will just skip them.

    Here's a link on pregnancy. Be sure to read the Guinea Lynx articles it refers to: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she.

    You don't have to stay with her all the time. She'd probably appreciate a break. You might come back to find all the pups in the cage with her.

    Thank you for that bit of info I had no idea about breaking up the lines. I have let her be today because I have to get things done but I am still worried I

    hope she does just fine if im not there to help if she may need help. Fingers crossed there are little ones in her cage when I return home. All the info I have

    gotten so far has been from these forums so I greatly appreciate you guys! I will update with anything that happens.

  4. #4
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    There's not really anything you can do for her while she's in labor. Once she's done and has cleaned the pups up a little, you can clean the cage.

    On the other hand, if she's in prolonged labor, she'd need to be taken to a good veterinary surgeon. But if she's had litters before, she probably will be able to deliver fine on her own.

    Here's some other recommended reading for pig owners:

    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

  5. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    May 02, 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    There's not really anything you can do for her while she's in labor. Once she's done and has cleaned the pups up a little, you can clean the cage.

    On the other hand, if she's in prolonged labor, she'd need to be taken to a good veterinary surgeon. But if she's had litters before, she probably will be able to deliver fine on her own.

    Here's some other recommended reading for pig owners:

    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!
    Thank you! I have 5 other guinea pigs I have always had guinea pigs growing up

    we just never had any pregnant nor did we want any to get pregnant. My worry is the still born part.

    if she has had 2 litters in the past that were all stil birn is she at a higher risk of repeating that again?

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Possibly she is at risk of having stillborns. Without knowing what caused the earlier problems, there's no way to know whether she's more likely to or not. It's a back-to-back pregnancy, and those are very hard on the sows and the pups.

  7. #7
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    May 02, 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Possibly she is at risk of having stillborns. Without knowing what caused the earlier problems, there's no way to know whether she's more likely to or not. It's a back-to-back pregnancy, and those are very hard on the sows and the pups.


    I was thinking the same thing 😔. My poor girl. I really need her to make it through this!

    I have become so attached to her she is just the sweetest. Thanks for all your help.

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave Janani.R.S's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2018
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Quote Originally Posted by JamiL33 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing . My poor girl. I really need her to make it through this!

    I have become so attached to her she is just the sweetest. Thanks for all your help.
    Awww! Feel better soon, always believe that your piggy will make it!

  9. #9
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    May 02, 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janani.R.S View Post
    Awww! Feel better soon, always believe that your piggy will make it!

    Momma piggie is ok and all 4 baby piggies are ok! I?m so proud of her she did such a good job all by


    herself at 6:50 this morning. I?m so relieved thanks to all of you for your kind words!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC915CE8-AEDC-47EB-AA6C-639F447F03E6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	84637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C43BE879-23BC-4464-8875-C4B0A4D802D1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	84638  


  10. #10
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,169
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    727
    Thanks
    913 Rec'd/704 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Wonderful, wonderful news! I'm so glad mama pig and the little ones are doing well!

    Congratulations!

  11. #11
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Yay for her!

    You don't have to worry about sexing them yet, but you'll have to remove any male pups at 21 days of age. Here's help on sexing them: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave LittleSqueakers's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 30, 2014
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    396
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    82 Rec'd/67 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    Congratulations! I'm so glad everything turned out well!

  13. #13
    Cavy Slave Janani.R.S's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 25, 2018
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts

    Re: I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

    So glad that she made it!!!! I knew she could do it!

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •