Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy I rescued a pregnant guinea pig and I?m worried sick about her.

JamiL33

Cavy Gazer
hello.... my sister in law went to pick up some guinea pigs who needed homes a mom a dad and three babies that were 4 weeks old on April 1st 2018. She kept them all but the mom because the momma was pregnant again so I got the pregnant momma. Well since having her with me I have fallen in love with her she is the sweetest most loving guinea pig I have ever owned but I am worried sick! The babies that were picked up with her and dad were her first littler that wasn?t still born the lady who had them said that she had 2 litters before the last one but both were still born. Well she did have a very tiny bit of light reddish orange blood in her cage 2 days ago and I immediately was worried and still am. I have taken her to the vet they are saying she is fine and should deliver most likely today. She is pregnant because the previous owners did not separate the mom and the dad after she gave birth which is another scary thing I?m worried about. She is eating ALOT since Monday when I saw the blood but she can barley move poor girl. I have kept her water, food,veggies, and fruit in her cage and have been with her for the last 4 days straight not leaving her side. She only had the ?hiccups? movement one time but it was really like 9-10 times all in a row with no stopping or pushing in between on Monday after I found the blood but the vet is still telling me that?s normal so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Please break your posts into short paragraphs with a blank line between them -- walls of text are hard to read, and many people will just skip them.

Here's a link on pregnancy. Be sure to read the Guinea Lynx articles it refers to: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

You don't have to stay with her all the time. She'd probably appreciate a break. You might come back to find all the pups in the cage with her.

JamiL33

Cavy Gazer
Welcome!

Please break your posts into short paragraphs with a blank line between them -- walls of text are hard to read, and many people will just skip them.

Here's a link on pregnancy. Be sure to read the Guinea Lynx articles it refers to: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

You don't have to stay with her all the time. She'd probably appreciate a break. You might come back to find all the pups in the cage with her.

Thank you for that bit of info I had no idea about breaking up the lines. I have let her be today because I have to get things done lol but I am still worried I

hope she does just fine if im not there to help if she may need help. Fingers crossed there are little ones in her cage when I return home. All the info I have

gotten so far has been from these forums so I greatly appreciate you guys! I will update with anything that happens.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's not really anything you can do for her while she's in labor. Once she's done and has cleaned the pups up a little, you can clean the cage.

On the other hand, if she's in prolonged labor, she'd need to be taken to a good veterinary surgeon. But if she's had litters before, she probably will be able to deliver fine on her own.

Here's some other recommended reading for pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

JamiL33

Cavy Gazer
There's not really anything you can do for her while she's in labor. Once she's done and has cleaned the pups up a little, you can clean the cage.

On the other hand, if she's in prolonged labor, she'd need to be taken to a good veterinary surgeon. But if she's had litters before, she probably will be able to deliver fine on her own.

Here's some other recommended reading for pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Thank you! I have 5 other guinea pigs I have always had guinea pigs growing up

we just never had any pregnant nor did we want any to get pregnant. My worry is the still born part.

if she has had 2 litters in the past that were all stil birn is she at a higher risk of repeating that again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Possibly she is at risk of having stillborns. Without knowing what caused the earlier problems, there's no way to know whether she's more likely to or not. It's a back-to-back pregnancy, and those are very hard on the sows and the pups.

JamiL33

Cavy Gazer
Possibly she is at risk of having stillborns. Without knowing what caused the earlier problems, there's no way to know whether she's more likely to or not. It's a back-to-back pregnancy, and those are very hard on the sows and the pups.

I was thinking the same thing 😔. My poor girl. I really need her to make it through this!

I have become so attached to her she is just the sweetest. Thanks for all your help.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same thing . My poor girl. I really need her to make it through this!

I have become so attached to her she is just the sweetest. Thanks for all your help.

Awww! Feel better soon, always believe that your piggy will make it!

JamiL33

Cavy Gazer
Awww! Feel better soon, always believe that your piggy will make it!

Momma piggie is ok and all 4 baby piggies are ok! I?m so proud of her she did such a good job all by

herself at 6:50 this morning. I?m so relieved thanks to all of you for your kind words!

Attachments

FC915CE8-AEDC-47EB-AA6C-639F447F03E6.jpg C43BE879-23BC-4464-8875-C4B0A4D802D1.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wonderful, wonderful news! I'm so glad mama pig and the little ones are doing well!

Congratulations!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yay for her!

You don't have to worry about sexing them yet, but you'll have to remove any male pups at 21 days of age. Here's help on sexing them: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! I'm so glad everything turned out well! :)

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
So glad that she made it!!!! I knew she could do it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.