Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other C&C dog crate under C&C cage?

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if it would be possible to incorporate a small dog crate into the under cage storage area of a guinea pig cage, with proper reinforcement of course? I have a full-grown dachshund who's small dog crate also stays in my room. I am thinking about re-designing the C&C cage that houses my two boars to connect a another cage for two sows I recently got off craigslist, and making it closer to the ground without actually being on the floor since I have a small room and a single floor vent.

If I went made a huge storage base (say big enough for single-level 2x5 and 2x4/2x5 cage) out of cubes, would it be possible to incorporate a 2x2 cubed section in there somewhere and let that serve as the "Basil Cave"? (Yeah, his name is Basil) If I could, and make it structurally safe for both piggies and pup, that would help save space in a room that already has fairly limited space.

My dream situation would be to have an entire wall devoted to cage space for the four of them (separate cages of course), with shelving above for added organization. However, I haven't quite reached that level of decluttering yet.

robson

Cavy Gazer
My dream situation would be to have an entire wall devoted to cage space for the four of them (separate cages of course), with shelving above for added organization. However, I haven't quite reached that level of decluttering yet.
My dream also!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Maybe I am misunderstanding but why not just raise it off the ground with grids/table and then put little Basil?s den underneath? You can even use the other areas for storage. Mine is only one grid high but with some extra construction you could even make it two.
. 193EC449-E0F7-4C24-9AD8-1CB0E5DBF1EB.jpg

robson

Cavy Gazer
Maybe I am misunderstanding but why not just raise it off the ground with grids/table and then put little Basil?s den underneath? You can even use the other areas for storage. Mine is only one grid high but with some extra construction you could even make it two.
.View attachment 85156
Grerat idea!

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
.View attachment 85156

This is more or less what I was thinking, only I would need to add a folding lid since sometimes the cats come in my room...that and we also have a 2-year old lab/doberman dog that has already caught and killed a wild rat out in the backyard.

I just want to have something lower to the ground than it already is, since I currently have stacked cages on a stand that is keeps them around 30" off the floor. That means I have to contort myself to put clean fleece in and binder clip it for the bottom cage, and for the top cage I have to get on a stool or stepladder and contort myself to binder clip the fleece. The latter of which probably isn't the safest method...though horse-back riding has help my balance considerably.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving makes a VERY strong lid.

If you've got a big two-year-old dog (essentially still a puppy), be sure to zip-tie those grids together in a LOT of places with strong zip-ties. They come in several strengths. Some are pretty flimsy, while others can't be broken.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.