Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopt vs. Buy Finding friendly guinea pigs

Franck27

Cavy Gazer
So, my kids (10) are asking for a guinea pig. I've always been interested in them, so I'm definitely considering it, however I don't want to end up with the same problem I've encountered in the past - ending up with animals that are afraid of humans.

Obviously, I don't really want to support pet stores, but I'm afraid that it will be harder if we don't get babies, as the older/possibly neglected pigs will not be as friendly as young ones would be. There's a great rescue just 10 miles from here that I'm planning on contacting when we are ready (we're going on a 10 day trip in November and I'd rather wait until we come back so I don't have to worry about them not being taken care of probably when we leave).

My plan for now - contact the rescue and check Craigslist to get 2 females, build/buy a 2x3.5 C&C covered cage that would end up on my daughter's desk in her room. We have two dogs and a cat, I can't say for sure if they will still all be alive in 6 months, but the 1yo husky mix just can't be trusted around small furry things.. so it needs to be covered just in case and not where the pets hang out all day (2x3.5 is the most that would fit in that room).

Thoughts? I don't have personal experience with pigs, but all the small pets I've been around were always the type that runs away when you open the cage... and that's really not what we want, especially the kids (I'm perfectly aware that I'll have to take care of them 90% of the time). I read somewhere that pigs can get more nervous too when they've been rehomed too much, so I just don't know what to do...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you get a guinea pig, it's going to be skittish. If you get guinea pups, they're going to be REALLY skittish. It takes a long time and a lot of patience to tame guinea pigs, and young ones are generally not as friendly as older ones.

If you want a pet that comes when called and likes to be held and played with, a guinea pig probably isn't the pet for you and your kids. To me, the biggest enjoyment with guinea pigs comes with watching them interact with each other, and occasionally holding them to feed them a yummy treat.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, if it's a calm, cuddly pet that loves to be held you want, a guinea pig is not the pet for you. They are prey animals so their natural inclination is to hide. This is not to say they won't eventually relax with a human they know well but this is not their default.

Also, a 2 x 3.5 is not a large enough cage for two pigs. Females can live peacefully in a smaller cage than males can but they still need enough room to not feel crowded.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
If you are looking for something that can fit in a 2x3.5 space and is not skiddish, guinea pigs are not the pet you want. I have had hamsters, rats, ferrets, gerbils- all easier to tame than a guinea pig. With them I could easily pick them up, something I will will never be able to do with my guinea pigs.

If you really want another pet, and don't think it will add to the stress of the current resident pets, then I would look into either a single hamster, or pair of rats. Both of them you could give an awesome cage in that same space. They also are a lot cuddlier than piggies too. I grew up with both and had no issues handling either of them, especially my rats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.