Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C or Midwest for New House?

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I currently have a C&C cage. I like it, but cleaning it is a pain, especially under the loft part. It's on a cage stand and I have enough cubes where I could build it out so the loft overhangs. When I go to get the pigs out, they run to the back corner under the loft and it's difficult to catch them since I have short arms and can't reach under there to scoop them up.

I have a midwest cage at my parents' house for when I take long trips there. I currently work in a field that closes for 2 weeks at Christmas and there are some other longer holidays. When I move for my new position, I will have two weeks for Christmas, a week in the spring, and all summer off. I imagine I will spend the bulk of that time visiting family.

My pigs have been living together peacefully for a couple of months now, but I worry that they will get to fussing if they are in a smaller cage when I am at my parents. I don't have the space there (nor the funds) to set up a C&C, but could get an additional midwest cage and hook them together.

I'm also looking at getting a dog when I move (haven't been able to have one because I do a lot of travel for work). If I decided to abandon the C&C cage, I would still need to get a cage that was up off the floor because of the dog. I guess my question is--should I stick to the C&C or move to two midwest cages when I move?

Also, I imagine when I move I won't be able to get the C&C cage constructed that same day. When I travel and take the guinea pigs with me, they ride in the back of the car in a pet store sized cage. Do you think they would be fine in that for a couple of days until I get the C&C constructed or should I get the midwest from my parents' house and put them in that while they are waiting for the C&C cage to be constructed? There's some rumblings sometimes, so I'm thinking they could get testy in a small space.

Moving is such a pain.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I feel you about moving, in a few months I would will making an 8 hour move where I will be living in a hotel temporarily until I secure housing. Did I mention I will be with my husband, cat and three guinea pigs? lol

What size cxc cage do you have and how many piggies? Do they actually use the loft? If they do, definitely offset it as it will be so much easier to clean. Otherwise I would take it off, I find I enjoy cage maintenance much more without it. You could always save it and add it on to your current cxc to increase cage floor space, just need to cover up the little gap (if you do plan on keeping it to a cxc)

If you plan on traveling a lot, it makes sense to me that you have two midwest cages. . They are a lot easier to take apart and travel then a cxc cage is. Then you won't have to leave your piggies in a pet store cage for a few days. If they already get rumbly I would not risk leaving them in a small space together. All three of mine have separate travel carriers because of this.

If you do keep with the cxc, another idea for you is to just zip ties grids together and make a giant play pen. You can even attach a water bottle to it. This way you have somewhere safe and spacious to keep your piggies until their cage is set up.

For dogs, you can put a lid on either cage. Cxc cages are built sturdier, but if you have the midwests out of the dogs reach I don't think it would make a difference.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd definitely vote for the grids loosely put together until you get somewhere to set up a cage. They're infinitely more flexible in arrangement than a Midwest cage -- you can do pretty much whatever you want with them.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I feel you about moving, in a few months I would will making an 8 hour move where I will be living in a hotel temporarily until I secure housing. Did I mention I will be with my husband, cat and three guinea pigs? lol

What size cxc cage do you have and how many piggies? Do they actually use the loft? If they do, definitely offset it as it will be so much easier to clean. Otherwise I would take it off, I find I enjoy cage maintenance much more without it. You could always save it and add it on to your current cxc to increase cage floor space, just need to cover up the little gap (if you do plan on keeping it to a cxc)

If you plan on traveling a lot, it makes sense to me that you have two midwest cages. . They are a lot easier to take apart and travel then a cxc cage is. Then you won't have to leave your piggies in a pet store cage for a few days. If they already get rumbly I would not risk leaving them in a small space together. All three of mine have separate travel carriers because of this.

If you do keep with the cxc, another idea for you is to just zip ties grids together and make a giant play pen. You can even attach a water bottle to it. This way you have somewhere safe and spacious to keep your piggies until their cage is set up.

For dogs, you can put a lid on either cage. Cxc cages are built sturdier, but if you have the midwests out of the dogs reach I don't think it would make a difference.

My current setup is a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. The loft is heavily used. I have a lid on the C&C cage now and the midwest at my parents' has a lid as well. I'm thinking when I move I will transport them in the pet store cage. Whenever I've moved pigs before they've spent the whole time hiding, so I doubt they'll make a peep. I think I will get the midwest cage from my parents and set it up at my new place until the c&c gets built. I will then get a second midwest and use the two midwest cages when I am at my parents' house visiting. I'll need to figure out something to get them off the floor (the midwest at my parents sits in the middle of the floor of my bedroom there) if I do get a dog.

A complex plan, but a plan nonetheless.

I'd definitely vote for the grids loosely put together until you get somewhere to set up a cage. They're infinitely more flexible in arrangement than a Midwest cage -- you can do pretty much whatever you want with them.
I have two of those small animal playpens hooked together for floor time, so when I get to the new apartment I'll have somewhere to put them for a bit while the cage is being built if they get testy in the travel cage.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just need to offset the wide loft or turn it into a narrow loft by cutting it down. That will make it more easily cleanable again. Do you have room to offset the wide loft?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.