Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Questions on two grid high cage stand

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

Does anyone have a cage built two grids high off the ground? What do you think of it, is it easy to clean? Is it sturdy?

I would love to have all the storage underneath so am considering adding another grid height when I combine 2x6 and 2x3 cages this Friday. I just wanted to hear other peoples experience before I spend all the time and money.

Any feedback or tips greatly appreciated!

lissie

Cavy Slave
It works great. Just make sure to zip tie all the connecting points.

It's easier on my back since I don't have to bend down while cleaning.

IMG_8857.JPG

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My cages are SO sturdy that I would have no problem with creating a two-grid high stand. The key to making it sturdy is to create the cage and the stand separately and then zip-tie them together.

The entire stand MUST have a top and a bottom in order to give it the best structural integrity. My only caution is that if you are planning to put canvas storage bins in the cubbyholes that you create, be sure not to overload the bins or the bottom of the cubbys will sag, especially if the entire structure is on casters. Everywhere a grid joins a connector must be reinforced with adequate zip ties. The real secret is to use a high-temperature glue gun and put a couple drops at every grid/connector junction. And, yes, it is still possible to dismantle the stand if you want to renovate it. I sometimes lose a couple of connectors in the process, but they can be purchased separately via the Internet.

You may want to investigate putting casters on the bottom of the setup so as to be able to move it for cleaning. Having said all this, I confess to never having made a two-grid setup, but I see no reason that it wouldn't work. No, it probably won't be as sturdy as a one-grid high stand, but still strong enough for your cavies with the proper construction. I'm happy to post pics of my stand in progress so that you can see what I mean.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave

IMG_8857.JPG

Your cage looks great! I didn't realize I could have so many open spaces without grids on four sides to support it. I just bough 1000 zip ties for it lol.

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave

IMG_8857.JPG

Your cage set up looks like guinea pig heaven! My eventual goal now.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great! I didn't realize I could have so many open spaces without grids on four sides to support it. I just bough 1000 zip ties for it lol.
Thanks. I use lots of support underneath. Make sure your zip ties are the thick ones. Mine are the 8" ones that are listed as 50 lbs. tensile strength.

Ideas for support:
Use wood for support. These are 2x2 (actual size 1-3/8 in. x 1-3/8 in)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mendoci...ft-B-Heart-S4S-Redwood-Lumber-97773/202529717
3x5_lid.jpg

Zip tie grids in an angle.
5072.jpg
5073.jpg

Your cage set up looks like guinea pig heaven! My eventual goal now.
Thanks. I don't use this cage anymore. I wanted something that look more like a piece of furniture, so I built this. Each level is 8' x 28".
guinea_pig_stacked_cages.jpg

Later moved to a house that comes with these cabinets on stair landing. This is about 7' x 3'. Perfect size for a guinea pig cage.
guinea_pig_cage.jpg

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
This thread is good inspiration. I'm moving so debating between two midwests or setting up my C&C cage. I have a ton of extra cubes and I think I might want to go two grid high if I keep the C&C cage. I could expand the cage, but I'd hate that my custom cage liners wouldn't fit anymore.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
So it ended up being a lot of work just combining the cages so I did not end up making it two grids high. I forgot how much of a pain (literal) applying all the zip ties and connectors is. And after four hours the piggies were getting upset in the playpen together so I decided to forgo it for now. I will be moving in October so think I will try once I get to my new home.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
My cages are SO sturdy that I would have no problem with creating a two-grid high stand. The key to making it sturdy is to create the cage and the stand separately and then zip-tie them together.

The entire stand MUST have a top and a bottom in order to give it the best structural integrity. My only caution is that if you are planning to put canvas storage bins in the cubbyholes that you create, be sure not to overload the bins or the bottom of the cubbys will sag, especially if the entire structure is on casters. Everywhere a grid joins a connector must be reinforced with adequate zip ties. The real secret is to use a high-temperature glue gun and put a couple drops at every grid/connector junction. And, yes, it is still possible to dismantle the stand if you want to renovate it. I sometimes lose a couple of connectors in the process, but they can be purchased separately via the Internet.

You may want to investigate putting casters on the bottom of the setup so as to be able to move it for cleaning. Having said all this, I confess to never having made a two-grid setup, but I see no reason that it wouldn't work. No, it probably won't be as sturdy as a one-grid high stand, but still strong enough for your cavies with the proper construction. I'm happy to post pics of my stand in progress so that you can see what I mean.

I actually have seen some of your cage photos, did you really say you could sit inside yours? I would love to see some pictures of your stand in progress! I need a bit more clarification about creating the cage and stand separately. I plan to put the cage together better after my move.

I am so glad you mentioned the cubby bins, part of my plan was to have the cubbys on top so I could use the underneath area for storage and an area for my cat. You are making me realize I might need to rethink this plan. I have four of the drawers I got from the cxc store.

I can't believe you put hot glue in every connector, that is a lot of work. It is a good idea though, maybe then I could actually get my cage to be transported without the whole thing falling apart. I like the caster idea as well. My husband wants to put casters on a giant piece of wood and then put the cage on it. Aesthetically, I think yours looks nicer though :D

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I use lots of support underneath. Make sure your zip ties are the thick ones. Mine are the 8" ones that are listed as 50 lbs. tensile strength.

Ideas for support:
Use wood for support. These are 2x2 (actual size 1-3/8 in. x 1-3/8 in)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mendoci...ft-B-Heart-S4S-Redwood-Lumber-97773/202529717
View attachment 84574

Zip tie grids in an angle.
View attachment 84577
View attachment 84578

Oh my gosh I am so grateful that you posted pictures of the construction. I was just going to wing it and add one more grid to the bottom-I see now that probably wouldn't have worked. I certainly did not think to put the grids at an angle, I assume that was just for extra strength?

I love your new cage! Once I get back to CO in a few years I hope to have a cage like that. I am a big fan of the ikea idolf cages for hamsters, this reminds me of one, just sized for guinea pigs.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
did you really say you could sit inside yours? I would love to see some pictures of your stand in progress!
I can't believe you put hot glue in every connector, that is a lot of work.

Yes, Maam, I did say that. I weigh about 125 lbs and I think that should sufficiently test the load limit. With regard to the hot glue in every connector, it really is very quick and easy as a final step once the construction is finished.

I'm happy to post pics, but just understand that I did an expansion and that the coro in the loft is a mix of the old cage and the projected new one. There are a couple of pics of the cage and stand joined (they are built separately and then zip-tied together). Also I've included a pic of the offset/overhanging loft that is so sturdy that it didn't need the usual angled grid support. Also note that the ramp entrance is a hole in the grid so as to maintain the integrity of the structure.

Cage length.jpg Cage side.jpg Cage & stand.jpg Cage & stand joined.jpg Loft - bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.