Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Possible mites on 5 year old pig

Bella1301

Cavy Slave
2e0129ae67a989ab5efe1992b7dcb9ba.jpg

Not really sure what?s going on. She?s lost hair around one of her eyes and I?m concerned it may be mites from my online research. Can anyone give me more information or advice on what else it could be? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not at all likely to be mites. It's much more likely to be a fungus. Unfortunately, since it's so close to the eye, you need to see a vet for an antifungal ophthalmic ointment. There's nothing really suitable that you can get over the counter.

Bella1301

Cavy Slave
Not at all likely to be mites. It's much more likely to be a fungus. Unfortunately, since it's so close to the eye, you need to see a vet for an antifungal ophthalmic ointment. There's nothing really suitable that you can get over the counter.

I didn?t really believe it could be mites because otherwise my other piggy would have it because they live in same cage, same hay, same bedding, same everything. Right? Also how could she contract a fungus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fungi are everywhere -- on the pig, on you, on me, on everything. Most of the time they cause no problem, but sometimes a different strain comes along, or the person/pig/whatever's immune system is weakened for a time, and the fungus takes hold.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.