Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior What do you do if your piggy passes away?

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
My pigs are very healthy and young but I?ve always wondered this, this time will come eventually and I don?t wanna scramble around when it happens. I mean I will but like at least I would know what to do if I know now. I?ve had a dog passed away we cremated her but the vet we see for the pigs can?t do cremation it?s a wildlife vet so I?m pretty sure they don?t have that option.
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
I would personally make a little degradable box and bury your guinea pig in your back garden or a legal land where you can bury animals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A crematorium is a crematorium -- they can cremate anything. I'd ask and see what their policy is if you're interested in that.

I know one crematorium that does both people and pets. In different ovens, I assume, but still...

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
A crematorium is a crematorium -- they can cremate anything. I'd ask and see what their policy is if you're interested in that.

I know one crematorium that does both people and pets. In different ovens, I assume, but still...

That is a good idea...never heard of both animal and human crematorium...strange??

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Not so strange. Most vet offices offer cremation for any animal they see. When one of my pigs needed to be put to sleep, they offered cremation as an option. Previous to that, I had buried pigs after they passed. Some people create a memorial to their pig and display it in their home if they keep the ashes or in the yard if they bury their pig.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Definitely a personal choice but I would say if your pig passes at home the 2 most common things would be to bury it or take it somewhere to be cremated. Even if your vet doesn't offer cremation services, you could easily contact another vet clinic, explain the situation and they would probably be able to offer the service to you. Alternatively, some animal shelters offer cremation services to the public.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Agreed. When my Pooper passed away, I was totally against burying him (due to my own phobias) but I was left with no other choice. After I buried him in his favourite place in our sideyard, I had a laser engraved stone marker made for his grave.

Long story short, it really is up to your personal preference. It all depends on what way you choose to remember your beloved furry friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.