Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Peeling skin? Hair loss? Help!

Ashley12345234

Cavy Gazer
My female guinea pig Athena, who is almost a year old, is having some skin issues. We separated her from her sister, who recently had babies to make sure no illness was spread. She has been having major, spreading fast, hair loss. It started behind her ear and has spread very far, almost halfway down her body. It looks like the hair and white scab-ish skin could just peel off. It looks like it is already detached from her skin by a small white scab. I am not sure whether is is self-barbering, an infection, mites, or something else. She has a major head tilt, falling over and loss of balance is common. Yet, it looks as if the hair loss is moving down her body, but it grows back slowly. I really want to stop whatever is making her lose hair and have a major head tilt. Falling over and having your hair/skin fall out doesn't seem fun for such a young little piggy. Thanks for all the advice given.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture? Close-up, in focus, and well-lit?

A head tilt is a strong symptom of an ear infection. Have you taken her to an exotic vet? The quicker it's treated the less likely she is to have permanent damage.

Ashley12345234

Cavy Gazer
We got her on high vitamin C and she is doing wonderfully better! Thanks for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.