Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding My Guinea pigs are always hiding. Thoughts?

kkzeus

Cavy Slave
My 2 girls, Liz (3) & Luna, (2.5) never leave there pig-loos unless its to eat, I've had Liz for over a year, and Luna for half a year. I want them to come out more, lay in beds, lay in their hammock. But they never do, they are very skittish. is there something I can do to get them to? Is it lack of trust? I am also looking for new toys and ideas! thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take the pigloos out and replace them with fleece forests. Pigloos are terrible hideys anyway -- the air doesn't circulate, and the pig is always laying in its own waste.

All guinea pigs are skittish. They're prey animals, and they're very sure that every moving thing around them is going to eat them. Be patient, give them yummy treats, handle them often -- they'll come around.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Take the pigloos out and replace them with fleece forests. Pigloos are terrible hideys anyway -- the air doesn't circulate, and the pig is always laying in its own waste.

All guinea pigs are skittish. They're prey animals, and they're very sure that every moving thing around them is going to eat them. Be patient, give them yummy treats, handle them often -- they'll come around.
When I expanded my Gp's cage I put away the fleece forest I just remembered about it now thanks for reminding me!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
When I expanded my Gp's cage I put away the fleece forest I just remembered about it now thanks for reminding me!

It's back :) not pictured Oreo back in his favorite hidey!
f807e6083e1b85aebaa03425f44049ed.jpg

Oreo and Peanut

Cavy Slave
My 2 girls, Liz (3) & Luna, (2.5) never leave there pig-loos unless its to eat, I've had Liz for over a year, and Luna for half a year. I want them to come out more, lay in beds, lay in their hammock. But they never do, they are very skittish. is there something I can do to get them to? Is it lack of trust? I am also looking for new toys and ideas! thanks!
Do they eat out of your hand are they generally tame and if you turn off the light or place a blanket over the cage are they active, I think it is important to know when is my GP scared of me or is there an underlying health problem

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.