Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! First time owner

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Hello,
My name is Kristina and I just became a cavy mom yesterday! I?m super excited to have my baby girl. My husband and I decided to name her April because, well, it?s April and because my birthday was April 17th. She?s settling in pretty good and getting used to the sound of my voice. She?s still skiddish but she let me pet her a little this morning. Tomorrow I?m hoping she?ll let me hold her!

Thank you for having this forum! I hope nobody minds but I know I?m going to have a ton of questions

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
Hello,
My name is Kristina and I just became a cavy mom yesterday! I?m super excited to have my baby girl. My husband and I decided to name her April because, well, it?s April and because my birthday was April 17th. She?s settling in pretty good and getting used to the sound of my voice. She?s still skiddish but she let me pet her a little this morning. Tomorrow I?m hoping she?ll let me hold her!

Thank you for having this forum! I hope nobody minds but I know I?m going to have a ton of questions
Yay welcome. Can't wait to see pics of April [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Yay welcome. Can't wait to see pics of April [emoji7]

I?m hoping to sneak some pics of her tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome :)

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I managed to get a face shot of her. On her left side the black turns to tan. The rest of her is white.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pig.

But if that tunnel is one of the Ecotrition Snak Shak Activity Logs, they're not recommended for guinea pigs. They're held together with molasses and honey, and guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar. It can upset the bacterial balance in the gut, and cause very serious digestive problems.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Cute pig.

But if that tunnel is one of the Ecotrition Snak Shak Activity Logs, they're not recommended for guinea pigs. They're held together with molasses and honey, and guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar. It can upset the bacterial balance in the gut, and cause very serious digestive problems.

It is one of those. I didn?t know. I just thought the igloo plastic ones would be worse if she chewed on that and the wood house wouldn?t fit in her cage. So far she isn?t chewing on it. I have blocks and other chew toys in there for her. I have a food dish and I originally put another dish in there for her hay but I had to buy a bigger thing for the hay. When I went to take out the dish I put in there, I realized that she pees in it! So I cleaned it and set it back in her cage and that?s what she uses for a ?toilet?. I?ve watched her do it a couple times. Too me that?s amazing! She?s already potty trained! And it?s easy to clean out. She?s so good!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ummm... Don't celebrate too soon. You can't potty train a guinea pig. And it sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff in her cage, so she may be pooping in the dish because there's no space elsewhere.

And please don't get an igloo. There's no air circulation in them, and the pig just sits in its own waste. Much better to use fleece forests, or hideys with multiple doors.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Why does every apostrophe or quotes mark turn into question marks when I type?

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Ummm... Don't celebrate too soon. You can't potty train a guinea pig. And it sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff in her cage, so she may be pooping in the dish because there's no space elsewhere.

And please don't get an igloo. There's no air circulation in them, and the pig just sits in its own waste. Much better to use fleece forests, or hideys with multiple doors.

Oh, she poops everywhere. I mean she pees (urinates) in the bowl. I haven?t seen any evidence of her doing it anywhere else.

She just started making a lot of noise. I don?t know what that means. She has fresh hay, pellets, fresh water. Could it be she wants to sleep now? She was pretty active all day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have no idea what's going on with the question marks. It happens to some users, but not to others. And it's a new phenomenon.

Earl Nolte

Cavy Gazer
Hello. I'm Earl. Are you interested in raising dogs

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I managed to get a face shot of her. On her left side the black turns to tan. The rest of her is white.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
My youngest piggies are semi potty trained. Takes a lot of dedication and like other animals even humans lol they can poop elsewhere. Its funny watching them run to their tray to pee. The older ones can't be bothered maybe cos i started too late with them.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
My youngest piggies are semi potty trained. Takes a lot of dedication and like other animals even humans lol they can poop elsewhere. Its funny watching them run to their tray to pee. The older ones can't be bothered maybe cos i started too late with them.

Yes, that?s what she does! Poops anywhere but runs to her dish to pee! I?m glad she?s not the only one!

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are so goofy! April was just running around in circles around her cage! I?m hoping that means she?s being silly and is happy. It made her very thirsty!

Sometimes it seems like she struggles to get water out but when I check it, it works fine. I will have to keep an eye on that.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Aww! The April is super cute! I hope she settles in and the others are right, the tunnel can be dangerous because of the ingredients. I would suggest maybe just a little fleecy area where your guinea pig can snuggle but remember to clean the poop out or they are sitting in it. I hope she's all healthy! Welcome to the forum!

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are so goofy! April was just running around in circles around her cage! I?m hoping that means she?s being silly and is happy. It made her very thirsty!

Sometimes it seems like she struggles to get water out but when I check it, it works fine. I will have to keep an eye on that.

They are very goofy! lol This means she is very happy because she is popcorning

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
They are very goofy! lol This means she is very happy because she is popcorning

That?s great! She was hopping (popcorning) around and running around. Then she?d stop and look at me then go nuts again!

That makes me so happy that she?s happy!!

Although, I am going to check into a new cage for her. She needs bigger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.