Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Rapid chirping like a bird...

chickpea222

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
We've had Sparkle for about 8 months now and I thought I had heard all the noises guinea pigs can make (she has 2 cage mates, also) -- but nope, a new one showed up just a couple of days ago, and again just minutes ago. She'll just sit at the top of the loft and start rapid chirping like a bird - repeatedly and for a long time (minutes). I did read (the first time she did it) that it's rather rare and it isn't quite clear what it means. Anyone else have a guinea pig that does this?

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
We've had Sparkle for about 8 months now and I thought I had heard all the noises guinea pigs can make (she has 2 cage mates, also) -- but nope, a new one showed up just a couple of days ago, and again just minutes ago. She'll just sit at the top of the loft and start rapid chirping like a bird - repeatedly and for a long time (minutes). I did read (the first time she did it) that it's rather rare and it isn't quite clear what it means. Anyone else have a guinea pig that does this?
My guinea pigs have never chirped I'm so jealous I've always wanted to hear it!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All rodents can chirp, not all do. Nobody knows what it means or why they do it, but the best idea I've heard is that they're calling the mother ship.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have never chirped I'm so jealous I've always wanted to hear it!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

You say that now until they wake you up at 2 am chirping for an hour lol I have one girl who loves to chirp in the wee hours of the morning. Rarely during normal waking hours :rolleyes:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
After 2 1/2 years of happiness with Punkin and Scooter...........

Apparently I have a chirper.

Night before last, one of them (we're almost positive it was Scooter) woke my wife up in the dead of night, around 3am and she thought there was a bird in the house. She said it was so loud it woke her from a sound sleep. Once she realized it was one of the boys chirping she was terrified because for some reason she was under the impression that pigs chirp when they're in danger or they're terrified. She immediately got out of bed to check and make sure they were all right, and Scooter came hauling butt over to the bars to see if she had a treat!

Once I assured her that chirping didn't necessarily mean danger, and that it was pretty rare and she was lucky she got to experience it she settled down. I told her if he does it again to wake me up!

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Chirping at night is always fun. The first night I had my boys, Mercury started chirping. I freaked out, thinking he was scared, but he was fine after I put a night light near their cage. He hasn't done it since then, but it makes me chuckle, thinking of me stumbling half-awake across the room to check on the boys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.