Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Safe wood?

Nadja

Cavy Slave
It turns out my Boys love to chew wood. They are not interested in the small wooden chews they have or the toys, but they love the support beams that hold up their cage cover. Those are wooden planks I bought from a home improvement store.

My question: I want to give the Boys a hunk/log of wood they can destroy. What's a safe wood? And where can I get it?

I think if I remember correctly SmallPetSelect has larger chews for rabbits. I bought the small wood sticks there, but my Boys destroyed those in a day. I will head on over to their site and check for something bigger.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try getting harder chews like actual wood nibble sticks, that I get from my local pet store

Last edited:

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I've never really had any pigs who showed any interest in chewing on toys or sticks. All of mine have wanted to chew on structures. (That's why I always include a hidey made of cardboard in the cage.) It might be a better idea to give them a wooden hidey made of safe wood. There are usually ones at pet stores. Just be sure to cut a second entrance/exit in the wood hidey so no one can get trapped.

CAVY LOVER222

Cavy Slave
Try something like this:

(broken link removed)

Edited by bpatters: Please do NOT use a tunnel like this. They're glued together with molasses, and have far too much sugar to be used for guinea pigs. The general recommendation for something to chew on is fruit tree twigs or limbs that have not had any pesticides sprayed on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
This looks far too small for a Guinea pig nor a rabbit, as it says in the description, it is more like for a gerbil.

Nadja

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. I have a cardboard hidey and their tunnel is a 6-foot carpet roll made from extra tough cardboard. They chew on it halfheartedly.

I've had my eye on a wooden rabbit nesting box, which I think would work. It's kinda big, but I have space in the cage, so that shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, the boys finally learned to eat and like veggies.

Thanks guys. Have a great Sunday.

CAVY LOVER222

Cavy Slave
Sorry! I didn't know! Just ignore my post!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.