Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Tulip's Medical Thread

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I was given a baby guinea pig on Saturday. I would guess by her size that she's about 6-8 weeks old. She was purchased from a Petsmart about two weeks prior, but the family said the kids were allergic to her. I think they just didn't want her, but my girl Daisy lost her cagemate about a month ago, so I agreed to take her. As soon as I got her, I noticed she had a runny nose and was sneezing. She also had a crusty spot on her leg that looks like ringworm. I immediately began putting Monistat on that spot. She was eating and drinking normally and seemed otherwise healthy, so I made a vet appointment for Tuesday. The vet confirmed that she has a URI and put her on Baytril. She also said to continue with the antifungal for the ringworm.

Today she seems a lot better, no crust on her nose and I haven't heard her sneeze at all. She goes back to the vet on Wednesday for a recheck and to see if she needs another week of antibiotics.

My question is, how long should I wait before I try introductions? I don't want to expose Daisy to the URI or ringworm, but I don't want little Tulip to spend too much time alone. I am definitely going to wait until after the recheck. Also, Daisy has a history of fighting with adult pigs, but did fine when introduced to her previous cagemate as a baby. So I don't want Tulip to be too old before I introduce her. I really want to give them the best chance of being a pair.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd go ahead and introduce them. Even if both pigs come down with the fungus, it's easily treated if you catch it early.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Now, or after the vet visit?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Tulip had her recheck yesterday, and the vet said she's good to go, but I should give her another week to recover before introducing her to Daisy. My gut says do it now, but do I go against the doctor's advice? I trust her judgment, but I also have a lonely baby on my hands.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd introduce them. Lonely babies are pitiful, and are worth risking the possibility of another pig getting a fungus IMO.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The ringworm is much better too. It's no longer flaky, and looks like the hair just needs to grow back. I did move her quarantine cage from my room to the room with the other pigs, and she's already more active. I think I'll try introductions when I get home tonight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.