Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Alternative cages : opinions on which are unsafe and can I see/hear about your cages?

Newberry

Cavy Gazer
So far I have :

*Kiddie pools with big sides or grid covers around them
*Wood cages from cabinets with flooring made out of some other material like tiles, concrete, etc
*Handmade ones from combo cloro. And wood
.... Would love to hear about these or others you have or have encountered.

And if any wooden cabinets epuld be OK to use

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is information on cages here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/, and there are thousands of pictures of different kinds of cages in the Photo Galleries.

HollyG

Cavy Slave
I bought a store bought cage from Amazon and my piggy loves it! It's big enough for her (she is the only piggy I have) and I fill it with shavings (obviously), her litter box, food and water containers and her hay rack. Also, her little house fits in there perfectly. My piggy loves to run around in it and popcorn. Sides are high enough so there are no shavings or hay spilt on the floor. It is perfect for myself and my little piggy.
I don't use the ramp and extra loft thing that it came with just because my piggy doesn't use it and it wasted space in the cage for her.
I'll attach the link to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756GBCJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The things you need to consider for an appropriate cage for guinea pigs are size and how waterproof the materials are. The most important thing is that the cage is large enough for the number of guinea pigs you wish to house in it. If you want to house a pair of guinea pigs you should be aiming for 10 square feet of space, this must be one level multiple levels do not count as guinea pigs need flat open spaces to run.

When using wood you must make sure that any wood within the internal sides of the cage are protected by something that makes them waterproof, guinea pig have a habit of backing up to urinate and can also spray urine on the sides of the cage when annoyed, and you don't want urine to be able to come in contact with unprotected wood. You must also make sure there are no exposed edges of wood, soft waterproofing (such as a shower curtain), and/or glue/tape where they can reach as guinea pigs will chew on anything they can, particularly when they want their vegetables, and for some strange reason seem to greatly enjoy eating things like tape, soft plastic, and shower curtains if they have the opportunity to do so.

Here is a cage made from mostly doors and coroplast (if you don't like the look of grids you can use plexiglass/clear acrylic instead which I believe was the original plan of the person making this cage). https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...Cage-is-complete-and-I-love-it!!!!-(pictures)

@HollyG that cage you have linked is an okay size for one guinea pig, but it is a little too small if you want two. Not everyone has only one guinea pig so that particular cage may not suit everyone's situation.

For anyone else interested in getting a cage from amazon but need a cage that can fit two guinea pigs here is a link to another cage on amazon that is a good size for two, https://www.amazon.com/Ferplast-Rab...8&qid=1530322636&sr=1-16&keywords=rabbit+cage I can't currently find any that are bigger so two guinea pigs is the maxium you can house in any amazon cage for now unless you can somehow connect multiple cages together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.