Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Overgrown Molars

So, my 6 year old sow, Raven, has overgrown molars.
    At least that is what I have diagnosed her as having based on how much she repositions food in her mouth, eating slower, not eating her hay, dropping food out of her mouth, losing weight, and having a wet chin.

Been on the phone all day trying to figure out the best vet to take her to. My vet does not do dental work on guinea pigs
    I had to change vets a little over a year ago when mine move out of state. It has been a struggle to find someone who can really treat all that ails a guinea pig.

I was able to find a vet who says that she has performed procedures for malocclusion in guinea pigs successfully in the past as well as rats.

I have an appointment on Monday. This is just to meet with vet. Not for surgery. I wanted to meet with her first to see how closing what she proposes matches what I read on Guinea Lynx.

Raven is eating her leafy greens as long as I tear them up small. She tries her best to eat her pellets but I can tell it is s struggle for her.
    I am hand feeding critical care and bell pepper slurpy. As well as giving her a little benbac.

I would love to hear from others who have had procedures for overgrown molars before.
    Anything I should be on the look out for prior to treatment?
    Anything in particular for after treatment?
    I know the vet will give me aftercare instructions but I think I really would like to hear from people who have "been there, done that".

Also, any suggestions on trying to get some hay into her. She is not eating it now at all.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanks
    350 Rec'd/314 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    262 Post(s)

Re: Overgrown Molars

Hi, @Kim37040.

I've been going through exactly this with my 6.5 year old boar, Sly, for the past year and a half. I've documented quite a bit of his journey here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...Medical-Thread

You may find a number of your questions answered there. The biggest thing right now is to make sure he eats, both now and after the surgery. The Critical Care is essential for that. I can't stress enough how important it is that the vet is experienced with rodent dentistry. I've been very, very lucky with mine.

As for the hay? Sly stopped eating it about a year ago. He has some rarely, but nothing we've tried has worked. I could suggest changing the type to orchard grass or meadow hay, but that didn't work for Sly. Perhaps you may have better luck.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,855 Rec'd/5,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    1946 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3493 Post(s)

There are at least two exotic vet clinics in Nashville -- I'd call and see if one of of them has experience in rodent dentistry.

Don't put it off any longer than necessary. Pigs can get attached to critical care, and it can be hard to get them back on hay again.

Good luck, and let us know how things are going.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Just a quick update.
    We have our appointment on Monday morning with the vet.
    Raven is doing great with eating her critical care and lettuce, cilantro, carrots and bell pepper as long as everything is cut super super small and/or thin. She will rut around in the hay with she does not eat any.
    She is in a cage by herself because it is easier for me to monitor what she has eaten.

Today is the first day that I did not bring her into the office with me.
    Monday can't get here fast enough. I am ready to get xrays to see how bad her teeth are.
    I have already printed out the entire section about overgrown teeth on Guinea Lynx to take with me to the vet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    350 Rec'd/314 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    262 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim37040 View Post
    Just a quick update.
    We have our appointment on Monday morning with the vet.
    Raven is doing great with eating her critical care and lettuce, cilantro, carrots and bell pepper as long as everything is cut super super small and/or thin. She will rut around in the hay with she does not eat any.
    She is in a cage by herself because it is easier for me to monitor what she has eaten.

Today is the first day that I did not bring her into the office with me.
    Monday can't get here fast enough. I am ready to get xrays to see how bad her teeth are.
    I have already printed out the entire section about overgrown teeth on Guinea Lynx to take with me to the vet.
    As long as you make sure she continues eating, she should hold out until Monday. I must say, it sounds as though she may already be approaching the critical point, and if she stops eating altogether you MUST force feed the critical care.

It's good news that she's messing about with her hay, because that tells me that she's interested in it and she wants to eat it, but is unable to. I would say that you should probably be betting on emergency surgery being done on Monday. That's what happened with my boy Sly, and he wasn't as bad as what you're describing with Raven. She is likely in pain, as the overgrown molars can turn into spikes with cut up the inside of her mouth, and also trap her tongue down.

Please keep us updated with her progress. Our thoughts are with you both.

User Tag List