Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Older boar with soft & smelly feces

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
Yesterday as I was cleaning my guinea pigs' cage, I found some unusually soft poop. This morning, I've discovered that it came from my 5-year-old boar, Gunther.

I was actually just holding him before typing this & he started pooping. His feces were coming out in sets of 3-4 & they seemed to be connected. Getting up close to them, they stink & look very soft.

My two other boars (both 10 months) seem to be doing fine & have normal poop. The only different thing about Gunther is that he's having diarrhea. I don't know why he's having diarrhea. I haven't introduced any new foods & their diet is still the same, etc. Should I be worried about this, especially since he's getting older?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he having diarrhea, or just soft poops? Diarrhea is liquid and runny, and is a far more serious problem than soft poop.

Are the poops he's having kind of greenish in color? If so, those are the cecal poops that he eats (or should eat).

I'd withhold all veggies for a couple of days and see if the poop improves. If it doesn't, or if it gets worse in those few days, then see a vet.

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
I think it might just be soft poop. His poop doesn't look like liquid at all. And thankfully, it looks like his poop is back to normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.