Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

What are my chances shes not?

Nikkivikki

Cavy Slave
I received a guinea pig from someone and was told it was a boy by the previous owner and by a vet. Brought him home after a week I introduced in to my other to boys and the were housed together from February 28- March 21 when I had him out and a friend who owned piggies previously informed me my boy was a girl. I separated them that night. Since then I have been monitoring her very close. I have noticed her appetite is more than the males and that she has been putting on some quite a bit of weight. She also has a slight pear shape but not much.I was wondering even though she was housed that long with 2 males is there a chance she not expecting. I really don't want to risk anything bad happening to her.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Given the amount of time she was with the boars she likely would have gone into heat twice while with them. Given that I think it would be best to act as though she is pregnant as that is much more likely.

The only care a pregnant sow needs that is different to a regular adult guinea pig is a source of extra calcium in their diet. To get her this extra calcium you can do ONE of the following options, give her unlimited access to young guinea pig pellets, supplement her with alfalfa hay (mix it in with her regular hay at a ratio of roughly 30% alfalfa to 70% grass hay), or give her a high calcium vegetable every day (such as a few sprigs of parsley).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.