Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guinea Pig?

sashag

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,
I'll try my best to keep this short and sweet.... I have 2 female guinea pigs, one of which I found in a bush in my neighborhood and decided to take in. This is Penny. I am 110% certain Penny is actually a she because she might be pregnant. I've been doing lots of research, and she has the "pup bumps" but she's not huge. I'm guessing 1-2 pups at most? I've had her exactly 71 days and she has had NO contact with a boar since she'd been in my care. It's possible she mated before she was in my care. The other sow she stays with is also a girl who I took in from a friend that was rehoming her due to her husbands allergies. I have no idea if she's actually pregnant, but her behavior leads me to believe that she is. She used to be skittish, but began warming up to me. She was highly active when I first got her and very picky. But now, she eats all day and sleeps by the food bowl so she's extra close. She still popcorns and plays with her friend Piglet, but she seems tired all the time. She will no longer let me touch her and when I checked her pelvic bones or got close to her tummy she started freaking out. I was able to feel around her tummy a bit and I did feel circular but firm-ish bump, maybe two before she ran away. I'm concerned because I know nothing about her background or her age, and I don't want to put extra stress on her or risk her life with complications. She only wants to eat and be left alone, and she's not as active, but still more active than a pregnant pig would be. She is only slightly pearshaped, so it's very hard to tell if she's ACTUALLY pregnant. Any thoughts or advice?
I uploaded 2 photos for a size reference. She was very thin when I got her (the photo with the hand) and she did gain weight, but the bulges on her side have me convinced she's pregnant (photo without hand).

Attachments

IMG_7928.jpg IMG_7225.jpg

sashag

Cavy Gazer
They're definitely the same sex, so I'm thinking she was in contact with a boar before I found her. She won't let me touch her stomach or pelvic area much to check for movement, but she must be far along since I've had her about 70 days.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She doesn't look pregnant to me. Neither of them do. Guinea pig gestation is around 70 days, give or take a few. But a 70 day pregnant guinea pigs looks a lot more pregnant than that. Of course time will tell.

She probably doesn't like you to touch her there because it's really annoying.

Pear shapes can also be because of ovarian cysts. You don't have any idea of how old these girls are? The brown and white one looks pretty young.

Nikkivikki

Cavy Slave
I have a female who was exposed to to makes for and 22 days. When I learned the vet sexed her wrong I removed her on March 21. She has been eating and drinking like crazy and I started weigh her on March 22 and she weight 689g. I weighed her again April 04 and she weight 803g. She's not pear shaped and if I gently feel her stomach I might be feeling babies but I'm really not sure what they are supposed to feel like to know for sure. Is there any way to tell if she's pregnant or does she sound pregnant? Because the only exotic vet who says they care for guinea pigs already broke my trust by not being able to sex them. To the point that I had one female housed with 2 males. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sashag

Cavy Gazer
@Foggycrrekcavy I have no idea how old she is, as I found her in a bush in my neighborhood. I know the all beige one is less than a year old, but Penny's age is unknown. I'm pretty sure she's pregnant, or she has giant ovarian cysts.
@Nikkivikki she could be having a small litter like mine. I'm 99% sure my girl is pregnant with 1-2 babies, but we'll find out very soon. It's very hard to tell when guinea pigs are pregnant. She hides it very well even in her late days, but time will tell. When she's running or reaching for some veggies I see her baby bumps pop out, and she has most characteristics of a pregnant pig. My best advice to you would be wait and see unfortunately. It's very hard to tell early on whether they're pregnant and even in the later days it can sometimes be hard to tell if mom is only having a couple babies. The signs and symptoms aren't always the same, try not to stress you or her out. Don't put her through the stress by taking her to the vet or picking her up/touching her. Provide her with some alfalfa and just let her be to prevent stress. You'll find out soon!

sashag

Cavy Gazer
What are signs of a stillborn pregnancy?

I've been reading a lot of threads about pregnant guinea pigs, and signs of pregnancy but I still have a few questions..
1) What are signs, if there are any, of a stillborn pregnancy? ie) will her appetite still be as high as it would be if the babies are alive?
2) If the babies are dead inside of the mom, will they come out prematurely or will they come out around the due date? Will they come out at all?
3) What are all of the various factors that can cause still birth or dead babies? Can picking a guinea pig up incorrectly in the early stages of pregnancy cause this? Or stress?
4) Does no movement of the baby bumps late in pregnancy mean that they are dead?
5) Are there any indicators that your guinea pig may go into labor later on in the day?
I know a lot of factors come into play with pregnancy, but any knowledge or advice would definitely help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've merged your threads so all your questions will be in the same place.

I'm not convinced your pig was ever pregnant. She doesn't look it in those pictures. But if you're worried that she was/is, and that the pups might be viable, an x-ray will answer that question.

Babies do move less in the very late stages of pregnancy, particularly if there are a number of them and there's not much room. But the movement doesn't cease altogether.

Picking up a pig incorrectly will not cause death of the pups, nor will stress.

Usually an animal will deliver dead babies, but I don't know that that's always the case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.