Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Are Silkie guinea pigs harder to bond with?

Conniehu

Cavy Gazer
hi! i'm going to be adopting a new baby silkie and i read that they were a very shy breed. I was just wondering will it be hard for me to bond with her? What are some tips you guys can give me? open to anything! Thank you. I have recently bought another girl a few days ago (short hair around 6 months) and I wanted to get her a friend. She isn't that used to me yet either, just wondering will having two be easier for them to get used to me?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

All guinea pigs are shy. Breed doesn't really make any difference.

Having two will make them much happier, and won't interfere with their bonding with you as long as you spend time with them.

But BEFORE you put them together, turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're both female. We've had many a pregnant "male" pig on here because no one knew how to sex them properly. Don't take the breeder's word for it, and for sure don't take a pet store employee's word for it.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
People like to attribute character traits to different breeds, but I haven't really experienced that. It's all individual.

I love silkies. I like the way the hair sweeps up at the ends. Of course you need to keep the long hairs at the rear trimmed or it gets tangled and soaks up urine.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I agree with everything above. Guinea pigs are individuals, their coat type doesn't guarantee any certain personality.

Personally, i feel that most long haired pigs grow to be friendlier over time because they require more hands on care and coat maintenance than short haired varieties. This gets them more used to a variety of handling techniques!

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
Yeah, breed really doesn't matter. Each guinea pig will have it's own personality, just like any other animal.

For example: Chihuahuas are usually thought of as mean, picky, one-person dogs. I've met many very nice Chihuahuas. But my Chihuahua, Princess, fits the "typical" chichi personality to a tee. I know it's just her personality, though. I raised my dogs the same and that's just...how she is. It fits the breed stereotype, but I didn't assume she would be any certain way when I got her. (especially since i was only 10 lol)

I always start with hand-feeding to bond with smaller pets. Lettuce is good because you can get a big leaf and that way your hand isn't too close, but not too far either. And if they want more they will keep coming closer :) Also talk to your piggy often! My guinea pigs trust me more than anyone else because they recognize my voice as the one who brings treats and pets them. They love just being talked to, especially at first if they are afraid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.