Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My guinea pig is dragging her legs

powphenom

Cavy Gazer
Today, my guinea pig jumped off of me and landed onto my rug. When I saw her, she was dragging her rear legs and using her front legs to guide herself. I got concerned on what to do. I don't have the money right now to take her to a vet. She isn't eating much, but is determined to move around. Now she is cold and not moving much. Is she going to die from this? What can I do for her? I have limited her movement to prevent further injury. Food and water is next to her so it is available for her at all times. Now what do I do? I don't want her to die on me.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
She may be paralyzed because if she broke her spine from a fall like that, she may pass if you can't get her to a vet. Does she squeal if you touch her legs? You need to get her to a vet asap!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs to see a vet. A friend of mine lost a pig last night that had a fall, seemed to be ok for a few hours, then lost body temperature and died.

You always need a vet fund for unexpected expenses. The question is never whether you will need a vet, just when you will need one. And medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and housing. You might check into Care Credit and see if a vet near you offers it, but your pig does need a vet.

Oreo and Peanut

Cavy Slave
As a last resort I would try using careplus if you ABSOLUTELY can't take your pig to the vet. Careplus is high in vitmins if you can't go to the vet it's like a supplement for Guinea pig's

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Oreo and Peanut, Care+ is a nutritional supplement for guinea pigs. It has nothing to do with an injury unless the pig is unable to move and get to its food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.