Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Missing Patch of Fur!

Indigo_hues

Cavy Gazer
I recently adopted 2 guinea pigs and one of them has developed a missing patch of fur. I've done some research online and I'm not sure if it's mites or her cagemate. The only 'treatment' I've given her is putting coconut oil on top of the bald spot to moisturize her skin, which 20 minutes after application reduced some of the dryness but left the spot still pretty dry (I read about some owners using coconut oil on their pigs bald/dry skin and it was the best option I had. My main concern is the possibility of having to see a vet since I'm a high schooler working at a fast food place earning minimum wage. Please I need someone who can tell me if this is some sort of infestation or what. I get paid tomorrow (April 2nd) so if need be I can take her up then, but I don't want to waste my paycheck if the vets can't do anything (seriously I had a mouse once that developed a tumor and I had to fork over 100 bucks just to be told that she would die in a few months) Thank you!!!
Missing Patch of Fur!
Missing Patch of Fur!

Indigo_hues

Cavy Gazer
Ok I've been doing some research and the closest thing I could find was ringworm??? Which terrifies me cause worms are one of my worst fears and they're contagious so uhhhhhhhhhhh I don't really know what to do. I've never had a pig with ringworm and I'm quite terrified.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Which terrifies me cause worms are one of my worst fears and they're contagious so uhhhhhhhhhhh I don't really know what to do. I've never had a pig with ringworm and I'm quite terrified.

Don't panic. First of all, the term "ringworm" is a misnomer.......it has nothing to do with worms. The correct term for ringworm is Tinea and it is caused by a fungus. It causes all sorts of things like athlete's foot, jock itch, etc. No need to be afraid of it as it is easily treated.

I'm sure that @bpatters will come along and add her suggestions for home treatment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's ringworm, it's the biggest patch I've seen. In my experience, it usually shows up in several smaller patches, and not such a big one.

I also don't think it's the other guinea pig. Pigs do barber each other, but they don't get all the hair all the way down to the skin -- it looks more like a toddler has cut his/her own hair with scissors.

I also doubt it's mites, because that also causes patchy hair loss, and not a huge bald spot.

Is the pig scratching/biting at the area? And if you gently tug at a small clump of hair at the edge of the area, does it come out in tufts?

jhustack

Cavy Slave
If it's ringworm, it's the biggest patch I've seen. In my experience, it usually shows up in several smaller patches, and not such a big one.

I also don't think it's the other guinea pig. Pigs do barber each other, but they don't get all the hair all the way down to the skin -- it looks more like a toddler has cut his/her own hair with scissors.

I also doubt it's mites, because that also causes patchy hair loss, and not a huge bald spot.

Is the pig scratching/biting at the area? And if you gently tug at a small clump of hair at the edge of the area, does it come out in tufts?
My daughter was holding one of our guinea pigs this weekend and tufts of fur were coming off. Today, the spot is much bigger. I have not seen her scratching at herself. Now, I am worried. I use the mats by guinea dad as bedding and clean the cage daily. I feed Oxbow food. Do I need to take her to the vet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My daughter was holding one of our guinea pigs this weekend and tufts of fur were coming off. Today, the spot is much bigger. I have not seen her scratching at herself. Now, I am worried. I use the mats by guinea dad as bedding and clean the cage daily. I feed Oxbow food. Do I need to take her to the vet?

If you can get a good, clear picture and post it, it may give those members here with knowledge about such things an idea of what you're dealing with. It could be a fungal infection or mites, but without seeing it no one can really tell.

jhustack

Cavy Slave
If you can get a good, clear picture and post it, it may give those members here with knowledge about such things an idea of what you're dealing with. It could be a fungal infection or mites, but without seeing it no one can really tell.
Here is a picture. After watching her most of the evening, she is definitely scratching. Can my other two girls get whatever it is?
Missing Patch of Fur!

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture. After watching her most of the evening, she is definitely scratching. Can my other two girls get whatever it is?
Missing Patch of Fur!

It is either mites or ringworm, both are contagious so do not keep them with your other two or else they will get it too, keep her in a different cage or if you have two floors keep her in one floor and the others on the other floor but still make sure there is enough space for all of them to move around. Keep her there until she gets better, apply anti- fungal cream or athlete's foot cream 2 times everyday until it is completely gone, this procedure is for ringworm but first check with a vet to see if it is ringworm or mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do NOT separate them. Whatever she's got, the others have already been thoroughly exposed to, and it will only stress her out to be alone. Just watch the others carefully, and treat them immediately if you see any symptoms. And if it turns out that she's got mites, you'll have to treat them all anyway.

I see some white flecks in her hair. Are those just loose bits of dry skin, or are they attached to the hair? If they're attached to the hair, she's got lice, and those are nits. If they're not attached, it's just dry skin from the scratching.

That's not the classic hair loss pattern for mites on a pig's back, so I'd start with the assumption that it's a fungus. The fact that tufts of hair are coming out would support that. Here's a link to some treatments: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. As bad as her back is, I'd bathe her with an antifungal shampoo and then apply an antifungal cream. You should able to get those products at any pharmacy. For the cream, I'd recommend Nystatin or Lotrimin.

Do apply any meds with a q-tip and rub in well, and then wash your hands, arms and clothes when you're done. You'll also need to regularly wash anything in the cage, and throw out or burn any wooden objects. There are directions in that link I gave you.

If she's really scratching a lot and is very uncomfortable, you might want to see a vet to get some sort of steroid for her. Her back is undoubtedly very uncomfortable, and she would probably heal quicker with stronger meds than you can buy over the counter.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

jhustack

Cavy Slave
Do NOT separate them. Whatever she's got, the others have already been thoroughly exposed to, and it will only stress her out to be alone. Just watch the others carefully, and treat them immediately if you see any symptoms. And if it turns out that she's got mites, you'll have to treat them all anyway.

I see some white flecks in her hair. Are those just loose bits of dry skin, or are they attached to the hair? If they're attached to the hair, she's got lice, and those are nits. If they're not attached, it's just dry skin from the scratching.

That's not the classic hair loss pattern for mites on a pig's back, so I'd start with the assumption that it's a fungus. The fact that tufts of hair are coming out would support that. Here's a link to some treatments: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. As bad as her back is, I'd bathe her with an antifungal shampoo and then apply an antifungal cream. You should able to get those products at any pharmacy. For the cream, I'd recommend Nystatin or Lotrimin.

Do apply any meds with a q-tip and rub in well, and then wash your hands, arms and clothes when you're done. You'll also need to regularly wash anything in the cage, and throw out or burn any wooden objects. There are directions in that link I gave you.

If she's really scratching a lot and is very uncomfortable, you might want to see a vet to get some sort of steroid for her. Her back is undoubtedly very uncomfortable, and she would probably heal quicker with stronger meds than you can buy over the counter.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.
Thank you so much. I will keep you updated.

jhustack

Cavy Slave
Hello. I wanted to give an update and hopefully, help someone else. Turns out that Fluffy was having a reaction to our laundry detergent. I use fleece liners and washed the liner in regular detergent and not scent free by accident. I was happy to find out it wasn't anything more serious. On the other hand, I did find a local vet that will see our girls as needed. Thank you all for helping. Fluffy's hair has started growing back in and she is happy little guinea pig. [emoji4]

patrickpig

Cavy Gazer
(broken link removed) absorbs pretty much right away, but I found after multiple days of usage, guinea pig skin would get flaky (in a good, improvement way), and this would cause him some irritation. It was sort of like it was drying out his skin and irritating him whenever I'd go to do the next day's application.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.