Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guinea pig moisty poop. HELP! URGENT!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Guinea pig moisty poop. HELP! URGENT!

Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I have two cavies a boar and a sow. Both of them will be completing 2 years in June. The boar is having moisty poop since 20 days and there's no vet available here. He has something black in the back of his front teeth and he is refusing to eat anything but cucumber. I don't know what to do. He's getting worse day by day and poop smells really bad. Can anyone suggest ms any medicine? It's really urgent.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig moisty poop. HELP! URGENT!

I know it's difficult, but can you get a picture of his teeth? That might help us determine what's wrong.

The reason he's having wet poop is because he's only eating cucumber. He's hungry and it's easy for him to eat, but it's a terrible diet for him. He needs to come off all vegetables for 48 hours. You really need to find out what's in his teeth or he will starve.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

He needs to see a vet who is competent to check his teeth. He can't survive on a diet of cucumber.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    He needs to see a vet who is competent to check his teeth. He can't survive on a diet of cucumber.

I completely agree. The OP however is in India and posted that there are no vets. I know I've read before about lack of vets in that country, I'm just wondering if there is something that could be done themselves.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Exactly. Is there any medicine that you guys can suggest. Or is there any way by which I can remove what's behind his teeth myself?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Is there any other vegetable I can feed him, given his condition?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I've tried it many times, but he's very reluctant. All I can tell is it's very black-ish. And my piggy makes clicking sound while chewing his cucumber. Also he takes very little bites and drinks a lot of water.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayushi View Post
    Exactly. Is there any medicine that you guys can suggest. Or is there any way by which I can remove what's behind his teeth myself?
    There is no medicine that you can give. Without being able to see what's in his teeth, we can't advise you what, if anything, you can do. Vegetables are NOT the ideal diet for him. Timothy hay is the most important thing in his diet, with high quality pellets being the next best thing.
    @bpatters is right, he really does need to see a vet if you can possibly find one at all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayushi View Post
    I've tried it many times, but he's very reluctant. All I can tell is it's very black-ish. And my piggy makes clicking sound while chewing his cucumber. Also he takes very little bites and drinks a lot of water.
    From what you're describing, he's suffering from a case of malocclusion, the same thing my boar Sly is going through. The black material is likely food or some other obstruction caught on the overgrown teeth, and the clicking noise is the overgrown teeth hitting each other. The excessive drinking is also a dead giveaway, both for the pain and he's trying to get something in his tummy so he's not so hungry.

Are his front teeth slanted, instead of flat across? Do they look like this? Name:  images.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  5.0 KB
    If they do, it's almost guaranteed to be malocclusion, and he urgently needs a cavy savvy vet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Agreed, it sounds very much like he's got a tooth problem, and there's nothing you can do for that. It requires a vet experienced in rodent dentistry, and those are hard to find even in countries with many more vets than India.
    @Ayushi, what city are you in/near?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Agreed, it sounds very much like he's got a tooth problem, and there's nothing you can do for that. It requires a vet experienced in rodent dentistry, and those are hard to find even in countries with many more vets than India.
    @Ayushi, what city are you in/near?
    Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Please recommend any vet that can manage the trouble, if you know any. I've tried so many places.. I couldn't find one vet.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    From what you're describing, he's suffering from a case of malocclusion, the same thing my boar Sly is going through. The black material is likely food or some other obstruction caught on the overgrown teeth, and the clicking noise is the overgrown teeth hitting each other. The excessive drinking is also a dead giveaway, both for the pain and he's trying to get something in his tummy so he's not so hungry.

Are his front teeth slanted, instead of flat across? Do they look like this? Name:  images.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  5.0 KB
    If they do, it's almost guaranteed to be malocclusion, and he urgently needs a cavy savvy vet.
    No, his front teeth are perfectly well in shape and place. It's the blackness that's behind his teeth that's weird.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

I can't google up a rodent vet in all of Uttar Pradesh. Does Allahabad have a zoo? If so, you might call to see if they have a vet who could see him, or could recommend someone reputable to examine him?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I can't google up a rodent vet in all of Uttar Pradesh. Does Allahabad have a zoo? If so, you might call to see if they have a vet who could see him, or could recommend someone reputable to examine him?
    Sadly, there isn't any. There's one vet but he'll be here after 5th of April. I don't know what to do... I want him to make it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Then mix a slurry of pellets (grind them, then soak in water and stir until the lumps are out) and feed him by syringe. How much you feed depends on the weight of the pig and how much else it's eating. A pig needs 100+ cc of slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. Adjust up or down depending on how much the pig weighs, and down if it's eating anything else. The pig won't like this process, but it MUST eat or it will die. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...g-a-guinea-pig for more instructions.

I find it easier to use a larger syringe, but if your pig is particularly uncooperative, the small ones may be better. It also helps if you put the pig on a table and snuggle it into one elbow. Hold the pig's head with that hand, covering the eyes as much as possible, and use the syringe with your other hand.

And see that vet on the 5th, even if you have to show up unannounced and demand to be seen.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Go to the vet! Don't wait any longer, cucumber is not a good diet for a guinea pig, he needs more than that. I wish your guinea pig the best of luck.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

@Janani.R.S, please read the thread before posting. This person cannot find a suitable vet anywhere near, and is trying to keep the pig alive until April 5 when a vet will be available.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Then mix a slurry of pellets (grind them, then soak in water and stir until the lumps are out) and feed him by syringe. How much you feed depends on the weight of the pig and how much else it's eating. A pig needs 100+ cc of slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. Adjust up or down depending on how much the pig weighs, and down if it's eating anything else. The pig won't like this process, but it MUST eat or it will die. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...g-a-guinea-pig for more instructions.

I find it easier to use a larger syringe, but if your pig is particularly uncooperative, the small ones may be better. It also helps if you put the pig on a table and snuggle it into one elbow. Hold the pig's head with that hand, covering the eyes as much as possible, and use the syringe with your other hand.

And see that vet on the 5th, even if you have to show up unannounced and demand to be seen.
    Thank You! I will surely follow that. I just don't understand what to do with his teeth... will he be able to remove it himself?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I've been hand feeding him coriander and chapati(whole wheat bread baked on Indian tawa) and also a little bit of tomatoes. He's eating that.. not much but in little amount. That's all he's eating. I'm not stopping his veggies because that's all he is eating and today his poop seemed a little better in shape and less moisty than before.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I think that's the main problem.. everyone's suggesting a Vet (which is right on their part) but there isn't any! I knew it when I got them...I only did it to give them a better life than that they were living before.

User Tag List