Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Piggie may have URI!

TheaLuna22

Cavy Gazer
Hi! My guinea pig Thea has been sneezing and has had snot on her nose. she is still eating, drinking and pooping as normal. I have made an appointment with the exotic vet but because she is the only one where I live, and we have no emergency exotic hospitals, she is normally busy so the appointment is later this week. Do you have any tips for me to make Thea more comfortable in the mean time. (I am not asking for a home remedy in replacement for veterinarian care. I just want to make her feel as good as I can until I get her in).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can try putting her in an area with hot water running and get some steam going. That might help with the breathing.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You can try putting her in an area with hot water running and get some steam going. That might help with the breathing.

To piggy-back on this, do you have any sort of humidifier or vaporizer at home? One of my solutions in the past was to drape a sheet over the top of the cage with a small humidifier running in the cage. That provided a therapy tent and enabled my sow who had pneumonia to breathe easier. Alas, the pneumonia claimed her life before the antibiotics could help.

TheaLuna22

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I don't have a humidifier but I will definitely try running hot water to get her in a steamy area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.