Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mom pregnant by son!! Need advice.

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
I chose breeding as the prefix, but I?m not sure that?s right. I recently got my kids 2 guinea pigs from a fb yardsale site. They said it was a mom and her daughter. We got them the beginning of feb. my oldest daughter immediately began swearing mom was pregnant. I assured her she wasn?t, she was just getting fat bc she eats a lot and I feed them good. I even messaged the sellers to make sure no accidents could have happened. They said she hasn?t been around any males. I finally sexed them myself and realized daughter was a son. Great!!! I knew he wasn?t very old, but also knew they could get a female pregnant from a few weeks old. So I began feelings moms belly. 2 weeks ago, I felt a baby. I am 100% sure she is pregnant now and feel the babies move daily. I can also hear them chatter in her stomach now. And I?m pretty sure her pelvic bone is separating. I do still have mom and son together bc I don?t want her to be depressed from being alone, but I have set up a cage for him to be moved to as soon as she gives birth. I have a few questions. 1. Will the babies be sick/deformed bc of inbreeding? 2. Any way to guess when she will have them besides the few signs I?ve already listed? And 3. Mom and son are both solid black, since that?s a dominant traits, is there any chance the babies could have different colors?
Thanx in advance for the help guys!!

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Mom pregnant buy son!! Need advice.

Do get the son out immediately. She can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth or miscarrying, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. You can put him in a cage next to her, but put a lid on her side. He can push up a lid on his own cage, but can't lift a lid on hers.

Maybe she'll have a male pup and they can live together.

The pups may or may not be deformed -- in cases like this, sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

I'm guessing the pups will be black, but guinea pig genetics are pretty screwed up, so who knows?

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Definitely separate mum from the male right away, and as bpatters suggested, you may end up with a male pup to eventually live with the son/dad and a female pup to live with mum.

Inbreeding can have various effects depending on what recessive traits are within a family. And actually that's the answer to both your last questions: they both may be carrying recessive traits that cause deformities or health issues (guinea pigs though are slightly more robust to inbreeding than some other mammals, just based on what I've read, so the pups may be completely healthy and probably will be. I've taken care of pregnant mothers where the father of the pups is a brother/father/mystery close relative and I've seen apparently genetically healthy large populations of guinea pigs expand from just a handful of related individuals, but there are no guarantees). Similarly, there may be recessive traits that cause different colourations or coat types (e.g. longer hair is recessive, as is rough coat types like teddy or rex fur, abyssinian rosettes are dominant so you really won't see any abby bubs pop up though). You'll just have to wait and see!

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Ok, I’ve had my guinea pigs 2 months now. I’m almost positive the mom was already pregnant when we got her. The babies have been kicking well over 2 weeks or more. The pelvic began separating a week ago and is very open now. I also heard the chattering over a week ago. I expected babies on Easter, but she just keeps getting bigger every day and still no babies. The last few days she has been very angry at me for changing her cage bc I have to get her out. I don’t lift her. She climbs in her little platform and I lift it out with her in it. If I touch her belly or back she makes a growling sound. I feel like she is NEVER having her babies. She is HUGE. I don’t see how she could get any bigger. At what point should I worry?

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Also, since her pelvic bone has been separated over a week with no sign of babies yet, will she be ok? Does it hurt if the pelvic is separated for a long time before she delivers?

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Why am I unable to post on my own thread without waiting for permission from as admin? Every post I make, it says it won’t even be posted until it’s reviewed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure why your posts are being held. The system auto-moderates some posts, usually for things like profanity. I don't see anything in your posts that would cause that, but sometimes the system just develops a mind of its own and blocks a bunch of posts.

The pups don't read the memo about pregnancy, so they'll come when they come. If you're still seeing them move and hearing them chatter, I wouldn't worry. You should know, however, that if they're very crowded, they'll move less than they did a week or so ago.

Do read that Guinea Lynx article about labor and delivery so you can recognize any signs of problems during delivery.

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I have did ALOT of research on pregnant guineas. She doesn’t have any pain or discomfort. She just lays down or eats all day and night. I went to change her cage today and she came up to me and let me pet her head, but she no longer lets me touch her stomach at all, which is weird bc she is normally very sweet. I try to leave her alone, but I do clean her cage daily so it will be nice when the babies do come. I also move her cage to my room every night just in case. The male has been in his own cage for a few weeks now, but he tried to go into her cage while I had him out cleaning his and she flipped. She wouldn’t allow him anywhere near her, which is also strange since it was actually very hard to separate them. I’m guessing she will have them in the next few days, but I thought that a week ago, so who knows.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
From my experience, with any piggies that I've rescued or adopted that were pregnant, they only give birth after you've completely given up on the idea that they're having babies and have settled on the fact it's just some alien beings colonising their uterus. And even then they will only give birth in the 10 minutes you're out of the room to go to the bathroom.

They just know.

Best of luck! I hope she delivers safely and soon!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
From my experience, with any piggies that I've rescued or adopted that were pregnant, they only give birth after you've completely given up on the idea that they're having babies and have settled on the fact it's just some alien beings colonising their uterus. And even then they will only give birth in the 10 minutes you're out of the room to go to the bathroom.

They just know.

Best of luck! I hope she delivers safely and soon!

This exact thing just happened to me on Thursday. Checked on my foster Momma at 12:00, she was eating hay with her cagemate. No signs of impending birth. Went back at 1:00 and she had three dry, nursing babies. (Well obviously only two were actually nursing at the time, but the third one was trying.)

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
This exact thing just happened to me on Thursday. Checked on my foster Momma at 12:00, she was eating hay with her cagemate. No signs of impending birth. Went back at 1:00 and she had three dry, nursing babies. (Well obviously only two were actually nursing at the time, but the third one was trying.)

I?m convinced she?s never having her babies. She?s just going to stay pregnant forever lol

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Her pelvis is now 2 fingers open, still no sign of babies. I will be gone most of the day tomorrow and am hoping she doesn’t have them then in case something goes wrong, but figure that’s when she will go since it will be very calm and quiet.

Bobbiandcharlie

Cavy Gazer
Still no babies!! She has to be close to 70 days or more. Her pelvic has been open for weeks now, and she just keeps getting bigger. She is so big she gets stuck going in her igloo. I have been able to feel the babies moving since March 20th. I’ve been able to see them move in her stomach since the end of March. I’ve heard and felt their teeth nashing for at least 3 weeks. I know they come when they come, and she isn’t in distress and is eating non stop, but I’m starting to think something is wrong. Every post I’ve read, and I’ve read hundreds, shows babies within a week, sometimes 2, of all the things of notices for over 3 weeks.

tiffschubert

Cavy Gazer
How many babies??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.