Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Contagious with a URI

Kayla522

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I just bought my new piggy Oreo last Friday, 5 days ago. He seemed to be sneezing a lot, and closing his left eye. I took him to the vet on Monday, and it turned out that he had a mild URI and some conjunctivitis in his left eye. He is currently on medication twice a day for the URI and I apply cream to his left eye 3 times a day and will continue to do so for 10 days. He is my only piggy, but my boyfriend and I are both college students, and we really think he?s going to need a younger male pig to join him so that he won?t be as lonely during the day while we?re in our classes. I was wondering how long (generally speaking), Oreo will be contagious with his URI. I don?t want to bring another pig in u til he?s feeling better and done with the medication. Does anybody have any other opinions about this, on how long I should wait to adopt another piggy?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd give it a couple of weeks to make sure he's cleared up.

But please don't buy another one. As you've unfortunately found out, pet store pigs are often ill when they're purchased. They also often have parasites, are missexed, and the baby sows are pregnant. If you'll post your city/state, we'll try to help you find a rescue or shelter with guinea pigs.

Since you're a new pig owner, here's some recommended reading:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Kayla522

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the informative links! I'm actually /not/ a new owner though, I've had piggies before :) I got my first pig from a petstore and he had no problems, living 8 years. I know pet stores are not an ideal place ideal place to get pigs, and adoption is much better, but to me the pet tore is honestly a whole lot more convenient. If the piggy I do get next happens to be sick, I'll make sure to take him to a vet and get him treated. Thank you :)(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pet stores are more convenient for most people. But the pigs they sell are bred and raised in horrible conditions. The sows are kept continually pregnant until they're too old to breed, and then they're killed. Little or no effort is made to prevent inbreeding. The shipping and storage conditions are horrible. And every time you buy a pig from a pet store, you participate in that chain of abuse.

If you want to see the shipping and storage conditions, see www.petsmartcruelty.com. One very large guinea pig rescue here in Texas wound up taking hundreds of animals from there when they were finally raided.

Kayla522

Cavy Slave
That’s very cruel and upsetting, but I just don’t have the time to adopt at the moment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then wait to get another pig until you do have time to adopt. If you'll post your city/state, we may be able to help you find one in your area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.