Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Boar and sows smelling/living near each other before neuter

After finding a cavy savy vet I will be getting my boar neutered, hopefully next Friday, so he can live with my two sows. Until then it was mentioned to me that I exchange their fleece bedding to get used to each others scents. Also that I house them near each other so they can interact through the bars.

I have been putting a used potty pad of the boys with the girls and vice versa during floor time and noticed all piggies interested in the scent. So I moved the boars cage next to the girls and he kept poking his head through the bars (he has a slim head) and was chewing aggressively on the coroplast and bars trying to get to the girls. I tried blocking the bars with cardboard but he just found a new place to chew. He wheeked loudly for the girls once I moved the cages apart again so I feel terrible now.. I mainly was concerned of him breaking teeth chewing the bars which is why I moved him. They are still in the same room.

Was this the right move? I know its bad to introduce and take apart and wonder if he would have calmed down. Should I keep exchanging fleece or just wait for intros?

*And just to prevent any other question the girls are in a 2x6 which his 2x3.5 will be added too. I will wait 6 weeks post op, combine and disinfect both cages put all new hideys and toys in ( all fleece forests or tunnels), have large hay piles and three water bottles/food dishes. Introductions will be done in large open space with lots of hay, veggies and open tunnnels

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Smile Re: Boar and sows smelling/living near each other before neuter

You should wait to just introduce them, acidenntal littlers can happen through the bars as well (from what I've heard and its better to be safe then sorry) so keep them separate until he's neutered then inteoduce them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: Boar and sows smelling/living near each other before neuter

That is the last thing I want. I shall just wait then to introduce, thank you for the response!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Wait four weeks after he's neutered before introducing them. Guinea pig sperm is very hardy, and can hang around for that long before he's infertile.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

How many boars do you have? Your thread title says "boar" but more than once in your post, you mention "boys". It's not a good idea to have multiple boars next to sows as they will naturally try to compete with each other and it won't end well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavyMama View Post
    How many boars do you have? Your thread title says "boar" but more than once in your post, you mention "boys". It's not a good idea to have multiple boars next to sows as they will naturally try to compete with each other and it won't end well.

CavyMama I see where that could be confusing, I forgot the apostrophe. I only have my one boar Loki, who will be my moving in with my two sows. Thanks for checking though

User Tag List